Remeron

Anyone have experience with remeron for pots,insomnia and anxiety?

Doc wants to try this one now just would like so feedback. =( little nervous, as usual lol i know its tetracyclic antidepressant but thats all i know. Eek

Yes, I have experience. POTS symptoms were made very much worse. I was constantly dizzy. As a matter of fact, I believe that my four month stint on this medicine made me permanently worse. I did not know that I had POTS at the time, but my internal medicine doctor felt it would be beneficial. (Maybe she thought all my symptoms were due to depression? That's the story of my life. I was a depressed person. Ha.) Remeron did let me "pass out" and sleep within 20 minutes of taking it. It made me gain weight rapidly to the highest I've ever been. Was it worth all this so I could sleep? A BIG "NO". That's my experience.

I was tried on this by my primary care physician while he was suspecting that I had POTS, for me it was absolutely horrible. It lowered my blood pressure to an extreme degree, I was so fatigued I literally could not get out of bed or walk. Could hardly even open my eyes because when I did the room around me looked like it was spinning but in slow motion. My brain felt like it was asleep while my body was awake. Now the fact that I was also on a benzo at the time could've worsened the sedating side effects as my doctor said, but just be forewarned that it can be a very VERY sedating drug and although that may lower heart rates it also can make you extremely uncomfortable if you're like me.

Good news is after stopping the side effects passed much more quickly than I thought they would, within a day or two. So if you react badly it probably won't be a huge setback just a couple day thing.

Guest wishing&hoping

I was on Remeron for a couple of years prior to my dx. Like everyone else, it made me very groggy, gain weight (which I needed at the time) and helped with sleep; although not so much with depression as it made me much more tired. Interestingly, I tried it again a year ago and it gave me chills and headaches/nausea, as well as extreme dizziness. I read in the NY Times recently that long term use of some antidepressants, among them Prozac and Remeron, cause small bowel problems, which I also have. If you are really struggling with insomnia, go for it, imho. The side effects do wear off eventually but sometimes I wonder if it contributed to my developing OI and NMH.

Well...thats seems to be the general concensus...dizzyness..and more low bp... yuck. Maybe ill see if can start on half a dose and then go from there... Sometimes i wonder about this doctor as great as he is...he prescribed me clonidine last time...and my bp was 85/ 50 when he wrote it...lol not wise doc...=/

western,

thats one I was on as a child that helped, for some reason doctor doesnt want me to take it now??? my mother just started it for fibro and headaches and said it helps her alot with sleep and wake refreshed. She did say ther first week she felt really jittery and ansty but it passed after that week.She also said it made her lose a little of her appetite at first but it leveled out after that and has had no gain or loss. she is hypotensive and has mvp but not pots. just thought id share =)

Alos remeron is a tetracyclic and amyltriptiline (sp) is a trycyclic (sp) Im not sure exactly what the differences are other than remeron is more sedating because it also acts as a H-1 blocker. So hopefully urs wont make you groggy...=))