Migraine Help?

Hi All, I know we have talked about this a lot on here, but I'm desperate. This has been the worst migraine week in a long time for me. I used to be able to take excedrine migraine, but since they found the ulser, that's a no go. Has anyone found something that works? Can't take Advil, or Tylenol either. I'm about ready to give in and go to the ER, but hate that route. Right now, ice is all I can use. Help.........

Do you have a neurologist or even just a GP you can ask for a prescription?

I just started getting migraines a few months ago and have been using Imitrex. It's amazing. I'm really medication sensitive but don't get any side effects from it and it starts working in about 30 min.

I, too, love imitrex while my daughter prefers midrin(sp? ..isometh is the generic). These are both prescription and midrin is really cheap compared to a lot of the other migraine meds. My favorite all time was relpax but insurance won't cover it any more, to expensive.

Excedrin Migraine and another prescription migraine drug i tried (forget the name) also have caffeine in it are really irritating to your ANS. Unfortunately when my migraines are really bad, like pushing my pain threshold bad, the only thing that helps is something like a low-dose Vicodin. Could you ask your PCP for a small (a few pills) low-dose "just in case" Rx for a a more heavy-duty painkiller?

Thank you all so much for suggestions. Just called Mayo, Dr Goodman, his nurse said he suggests Ultram. But wants me to get from my GP. Have appt in 2 1/2 wks. I just hate another med that's additive. Took Imitrex years ago, too many side affects. I ve just been so miserable this week, guess I'm feeling whinny. Hope you all are having a better wk than me.

So sorry Mydoggie!

I too suffer from migraines. They seem to come about every 6-8 weeks and last for three days, peaking on the second day. I have been to a neuro, many years ago and he put me on Maxalt, but it didn't help "the headache". It totally got rid of regular headaches, but didn't even touch "the headache". Nothing I take even touches it. I've taken so many things over the years, sometimes prescribed and sometimes just pain meds that my husband has gotten for some reason or another (he fills the rx. for me, he doesn't ever touch pain meds). For about the last 5 years, I've taken nothing because nothing seems to help. Like I said, I've tried OTC meds and rx meds of every sort, nothing even touches it. All I do now is darken my room, lay in a fetal position with a heating pad over my head and right side of face. I have to admit, it doesn't really help all that much, but it's the only thing I can do. I have a family history of migraines: late mother, sister and brother all got/get them. My mother used to take Imatrex and my sister currently takes it, brother has taken Maxalt. Nothing helps me. I've even been to an ENT thinking maybe it is sinuses (most in my family suffer from this) and no go there either. Even after an endoscopy of my sinuses, CT scans and MRI. Nothing...

I hope you find some answers soon and get some relief. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good thoughts going your way.

Bebe

When my son experienced migraines in middle school the regular migraine meds didn't help but Tramadol(ultram) did help. He took 100mg. It took his migraine down to a headache. Prior to the tramadol, we took him to the ER usually on day 3 of a migraine and they gave him an IV cocktail of Toredol, Reglan and Benedryl. That always kicked it completely.

Could your headache be caused by something you ate this week? Foods sometimes are a trigger. Sorry that you are suffering with it. The only thing that works for me is an ice pack, dark room, and extra sleep.

Relpax and Maxalt MLT have been good rescue medications for me. They are prescription and expensive but they work. I have found that the most important thing we've done is put me on Depakote, an anti-convulsant that is also prescribed as a migraine preventative. While I still get migraines, I have gone from about 19 a month to about 7 a month...a vast improvement as far as I'm concerned. I know that doesn't help right at this moment but it's worth thinking about finding a preventative med that works for you once you get through this particular episode. Finding a neuro that specializes in headaches is your best bet for proper treatment.

I have the three days ones like Bebe. And not much works for me either. I can't take any of the tryptans, like Maxalt,Imitrex etc.

I feel as though I have tried every natural remedy known...here are some that have worked once or twice. None of them work after that:

Hot bath for feet and ice pack on head at same time. It helps the constriction process.

Apple cider vinegar and honey in water (worked twice)

Big shot of caffeine in form of coke or pepsi (I normally avoid caffeine)

A product called Migralex- aspirin with magnesium

I get them every 10 days or so and so have to work on preventative meds. Tried gabapentin, pamelor etc.

Too many side effects. Am now trying Feverfew and curcumin. Will try butterbur and just read a study on melatonin preventing migraines. Also have read low D can cause migraines, So I need to supplement.

Finally, I asked my neuro for oxygen. It is in a canister, and you have it low flow for 15 minutes. No side effects for me. It worked a few times, not working now but if you get migraines every few months it might help. Google O2 therapy for cluster and migraines.

Hope any of this helps you get through this one.

Does the Ultram act as a preventative or do you just take it when you have a migraine?

Thank you all so much. Quite some time ago I posted about barometric changes affecting me, and this week has been a doozie. I know that's what triggered this episode, but I just can not shake it. Going on 6 days. Thanks for all the advice and suggestion. Again I am amazed at how many things we POTSies have in common.

LMG- not sure the answer to your question about Ultram. I would hope only when having migraine.

My son was given intranasal lidocaine by a pain management doctor for his migraines several years ago. For him, it had a temporary effect. It would cause the migraine to stop hurting for up to half an hour but then it would return immediately. The doctor explained that that happens to some people. I tried it on myself on a normal headache and it worked for that.

I suffer from migraines. Everyone is different, but here is what works for me. If you drink caffeine, drink the same amount at the same time every day. I drink only one cup of regular coffee in the morning and never, ever vary. Too little, too much, vary the time I drink it, etc. can trigger a migraine. I have noticed a reduction in headaches since taking magnesium. I only take 250mg magnesium per day. As soon as I feel a migraine coming on, I go into a dark room, turn on the fan and put a wet cloth or ice pack on my forehead. If I think I can get to sleep within 15 minutes, great. If I think I will not be able to get to sleep within 15 minutes, I take a very low dose of Xanax (1/2 a .25 mg tablet). This is what works for me. When I wake up, I feel better. The trick is stopping it before it goes to far and then there is nothing that works and I have to just ride it out, on the bathroom floor vomiting.... no fun.