Seeing A Gastroenterologist

I have a appointment coming up to see a gastro, any tips and what should I expect? My main issue is with nausea and vomiting when trying to eat anything during the 5-6 hours after getting up in the morning. Other issue, I am seriously embarrassed to talk about is trouble with constipation and related issues. Should I expect to need to explain what dysautonomia is to this doctor?

As far as being embarassed, I felt the same way. I don't have any nausea or vomiting, only bowel issues, which sounds like a major TMI for most people but believe me most gastroenterologists talk about that stuff like its the weather which is really comforting. Expect to be asked many questions along those lines though!

I can't speak for the dysautonomia part because I saw my GI doc before my POTS diagnosis, but when he was updated on my diagnosis he seemed to think it made perfect sense. But the familiarity with it is completely random in my opinion and I'd expect to explain at least initially what dysautonomia does to the body.

I have had constipation problems for 8 years now and have no problem anymore telling a gi doc exactly what is going on.Truly, they have heard it all before and I've seen 3 over the past years and not shocked one of them yet. However, they might not have heard of POTS. My first 2 gi docs had never heard of it. Finally, about 2 years ago, I asked my pots doc for the name of a gi doc that would know something about POTS. This was a good move. Although he hasn't been able to help me much more than the others he's very aware that POTS makes treating chronic constipation much more difficult for me than some other people he sees due to my varied and 'impossible' reactions to most types of laxatives.

blue

I went to my gastro visit today. The doctor was extremely thorough and seemed to understand dysautonomia at least a bit. I left the appointment a little frustrated with no help or suggestions at all. I am scheduled for a "EGD enteroscopy", a month from now. Basically he said the nausea/vomiting could be related to dysautonomia, but would need to check for everything else first before he could say for sure. So a test a month from now, then a visit a month from then.... why does everything absolutely have to take so long??? I am so afraid It is going to be another year before they run out of tests to run and say I have xyz, here are some pills to make you feel better