Reglan

Libby

It works wonders for me. :-) But yes, I HATE that warning. It's just scary. :-/

I have Reglan in my medicine cabinet - I take it only as a last resort and then, I take 1/2 a pill at a time. The side effects of a full dose cause me to have a restless feeling, tremors, anxiety, and a darkness I just can't describe. My MD said he would prefer I not take it at all but, it is the only medicine he has ever offered for all the GI distress. It does help the bloating, pain, and cramping. If you decide to take it, I would definitely start at the lowest possible dose. I do OK with taking only 1/2 pill once or twice a day - anymore than that and I am miserable from the side effects.

oh gosh, what does the warning say? The warning on all meds seem to freak me out pretty bad, not even a "warning" on most, just the possible side effects really.

I was given reglan in the hospital once and I felt as though I was going to jump out of my skin. I'm not sure what it did but it was like restless leg syndrome all over my body.

I felt horrific on it, and it took me three days to realise what was causing it. This was largely because it made me too out of it to think straight. I was jittery to the level where I felt I was jumping out of my skin, I couldn't lie down comfortably, my body was twitching, I couldn't even watch a single episode of something basic on TV because I'd only last 10 or 20 minutes. It doesn't sound that bad but it was horrendous. I'm not even sure I could manage a basic conversation at the time.

So if you do take it, and let's face it, all meds have potential side effects, start with a low dose and get someone to keep an eye on you.

The problem with the side effects of Reglan is that they can become permanent. There were class action suits and commercials from lawyers asking people if they took Reglan and listed a long list of side effects. My son was on it for a short while but I pulled him off once I researched it more.

"Chronic treatment with metoclopramide can cause tardive dyskinesia, a serious movement disorder that is often irreversible. The risk of developing tardive dyskinesia increases with the duration of treatment and the total cumulative dose. The elderly, especially elderly women, are most likely to develop this condition.

Metoclopramide therapy should routinely be discontinued in patients who develop signs or symptoms of tardive dyskinesia. There is no known treatment for tardive dyskinesia; however, in some patients symptoms may lessen or resolve after metoclopramide treatment is stopped.

Prolonged treatment (greater than12 weeks) with metoclopramide should be avoided in all but rare cases where therapeutic benefit is thought to outweigh the risks to the patient of developing tardive dyskinesia. "

My mom was a nurse in a cancer hospital years ago and when I mentioned it to her, she told me that they used to give it to their chemo patients if compazine didn't help. She didn't see any side effects, but the dosing is different, less regular, than for gastroparesis. But it's still making me nervous. I haven't filled the prescription yet...

Another question: can you take it after the meal, if you feel the food just sitting there? Doc told me to take it 15 minutes before, but I don't always know what my stomach is going to decide to digest and what it's not.

Guest Alex

I'm 'allergic' to it - had a nasty reaction to it in the ER once - they gave it to me as a preventative med ...in case I'd get nauseous. I was agitated, shaking, twitching, couldn't focus - like Batik said, it doesn't sound that bad but it was scary and nasty.

The attending dr advised me not to touch it ever again, but also said that the type of reaction I had to it was rare.

Alex