First Day At Mayo

Sorry I missed posting yesterday, but it was a very long, long day. Had needle placed by Doppler first thing in the am. Interesting to have a needle that is sticking out at about a 45 degree angle, instead of flat a giant the skin. I could not hardly move my arm all day. They said it could pop out, to be extremely careful.( trying to go to the bathroom was a real chore! haha) Had plasma cat test next back at the clinic. They have you lay down and tell you to relax as much as you can. Then they draw some blood from the IV. Now they leave you for 30 min exactly(timed) then they have you stand for 10 min exactly, at which time they draw blood again. Unfortunately at 7 min I started to pass out, so two nurses had to hold me up. Not sure why 18 gauge needle, but was told it was a must for this test.

Once that was done it was off to see Dr Goodman for return visit. Not all test results in until next wk, so he is going to call. What we do know is that I of course have pots, and celiac disease. He is not sure if celiac caused pots, or if its just two separate problems. He said to exercise everyday no matter what. Told my husband to buy a recumbent bike for home. Said to stop going to PT, that two times a wk is not enough. Said exercise is the most important help for Pots and must be done on a daily basis. So he asked my husband to help me at home every day. My goal should be to be able to walk 45 min a day. WOW!

Not all tests back for mast cell and of course the plasma cat.

Then it was off to have endoscopy. BP was not doing great by this time, so they could not use the stuff to keep you from remembering and relax you. This was horrible. Had to watch as they took 7 biopsies from inside me. They also found an ulser. Needless to say, I am completely done in. Will take a while to recover from this week. But we'll worth it all.

In conclusion: Dr Goodman is great. The mayo experience was incredible. Excellent patient care. Always on time. Incredibly organized. Very caring staff no matter if you are in the hall ways, cafeteria or where ever. Would highly recommend anyone that can to go.

Sounds like a very hectic Friday. I am so sorry about your endoscopy. I can't imagine. I am glad that you found the experience to be a great one. I have had great staff every time I have gone for appointments/testing. My Rochester experience back in the 90s was the same way. They must do something in training stressing patient relationships or something.

I hope you recover quickly from your week here!

Oh, UGH. An endoscopy without sedation? I just had one with sedation and it really wasn't an experience I'd like to repeat, I can't imagine being awake for it. How did they numb you and stop the gag reflex, just the lidocaine?

And an ulcer? Blech. At least h. pylori is pretty easily cured. I was reading a few articles where it was suggested that h. pylori actually conveys a protective effect (in addition to giving you ulcers) - fewer instances of barret's esophagus progressing to esophageal cancer, one even claimed that those infected are less likely to get lung cancer. Interesting...but I still want it out of my stomach, thanks.