Long Qt Intervals?

Racer

Anyone know if a qt interval can become prolonged after exercise and resolve during rest, or is the qt length always the same?

I am looking at my medical records (from a year ago) and a ekg showed a QT interval of 490ms. Originally I got the diagnoses of LQTS (fainting + 490ms!). LQTS was ruled out because 3 subsequent ekg did not show a prolonged interval. Just wondering how this can happen?

The cause of my fainting was found to be bp related, so I am not really worried about the lqt, but the possibility of a mistake lingers in the back of my mind!

Hey racer,

I saw your post the other day about maximum HR, when exercising. Take a look at my post dated today with a poll on Maximum HR. I find my HR going 30 points over calculated maximum for my age to be strange!! The cardio gave me a VO2 test but was not there and they stopped it at my calculated max HR for safety purposes. ( Yet the Cardio who was not at test says I can run to a HR as high as I want. ) If I was to go at 90 % of max HR I would be so slow I would be bored even on a long run. ( would be more of a jog/walk at that HR )

• 9 years later...

There's a phenomenon known "concealed" long QT, which is provoked by exercise. So you'll see it on stress tests and VO2 max tests, but not on a resting ECG.

At 490ms it seems to me they'd want to measure your QTc on a subsequent stress test in order to rule out concealed long QT.

Repeating static/supine ECGs won't show it.