Trip To The Er

jkoconne

Hi all,

Yesterday (saturday) i woke up with chest pain and really bad tachy. My bp was normal for me. The pain i was having I have had before. Its a constant aching pain and then breathing in causes sever stabbing and cramping pain around my whole left chest area. I have been to the ER for it before thinking it was my heart but they always said it was "unexplainable"

Well as yesterday went on the pain became unbareable and worse then ever. I could barely breath...i was in tears (which didnt help the pain) and the pain was a 9 on a 10 point scale. Worst ive had other than surgery.

So i go in a say i dont think its my heart but something is seriously wrong! They finally took me seriously. listened to my lungs and said the left one didnt sound as clear as the right. All the tests came back clear but they said my inflammation tracker was high and they believe I have pleirusy...which is inflammation of the lining of my lung. When i read about it the symptoms do match but they told me they cant figure out what is currently or has caused it in the past!

Another mystery...But at least they gave me meds for relief. Im home now, with a prescription that takes the edge off but is still so painful!

Anyone else experience something like this?!

oh gosh, sorry for your pain and current issues. I've never experienced this but have heard of it. I wanted to say sorry and hope you feel better. Did they say what could have caused it or if it heals with medicine and gets well? I'm glad they took you seriously, hope you feel better!!!

I had pleurisy when I was about 12 y.o. which I caught from a horse that had pleurastic pneumonia. It used to be pretty common for people to catch it if they worked around farm animals. It has become less common as the need for everyone to work with animals has decreased. I feel for you. It is very painful. I was treated with antibiotics for a couple of weeks but the recovery time is quite long which the doc warned us about. I'll keep you in my good thoughts.

I've experienced chest pain, but nothing like this. I don't have much to add, just wanted to say sorry and hope you feel better!

Be sure to take it easy. I have experienced this myself and so has my son. This can be very painful. Glad you were able to get to a doctor that recognized what was going on. Take care and drink your fluids.

Thank you for all your good thoughts and support. Means a lot to me! I have no idea where I got it...but then again i go to a large university and am constantly surrounded by students :( The odd thing is they said it usually comes with a virus but i didnt have any viral symptoms unitl TOADY! ugh yesterday made me feel like i was doing better but with more symptoms my pots symptoms are flaring up. I have a follow appointment wed.

I was suppose to have an exam tommorow and wed. I got my professor to let me make up tomorrows test due to the situation. im waiting to hear back from my other professor.

Thanks again everyone. Hoping to get better soon

My husband went to ER with similar pain and was told he had pleurisy. His next visit he was told he had pneumonia and then a clever nurse noticed something that led to them doing an echocardiogram. It turned out my hubby had a deformed aortic valve, his heart was enlarged and he needed open heart surgery to replace the valve. Sometimes heart issues are hard to 'see' without an ultrasound. Have you had the full range of cardiac tests? I'm not saying this is you, just that we always thought my hubby had asthma then pleurisy, then pneumonia and it turned out that none of these were the case. Hope you feel better soon.

Hi Giraffe/Rachel,

Thanks for pointing that out. Im concernded they are missing something but i feel like its only because in my past they missed so much that im perinod theyre doing it again. The pleurisy is gone but the other pain keeps coming and going. They are sure its inflammation...to me this makes no sense...with the pleurisy, yes that makes sense. But that has subsided and today the chest pain that comes randomly is back. when its happening the pain is always there but breathing makes it worse. Some episodes last a few min while others last hours. but they go away with no meds, just rest. So inflammation just doesnt seem to match what i feel.

Ive had a total cardiac work-up. Ekg, Echo, 24 holter monitor, 30 day event monitor and blood testing. They only thing it showed was my tachy. But nothing else wrong. My cardio doesnt think this pain is my heart, ive brought it up multiple times. He said if it comes more often or more sever and they rule out lung issues we will do another test. I cant remember what its called...but its like a catscan of your heart. He said its a lot of radiation and ive had enough of that with all my other crazy test over the years.

So right now my primary is sending me to physical medicine (this coming wed) to see if they want to do target shots...i looked into them and idk...the side effects are pretty bad and I ALWAYS get side effects! so im concerned about it

Thanks for your input! I hope your husband is fully recovered :)