Drenched In Sweat After Sleeping Through Night

looneymom

Is this part of POTS? Many times my son will wake up in the morning sweaty. He just had a sleep study last night and the nurse put a fan on him because the sticky things on his head kept coming off. He's glad the test is over. The nurse asked if this was happening everynight and I told her 3-4 nights a week. I have mentioned this to his doctor before but it is happening more often. What causes this?

This happens to me, my sleep study showed my heart rate crazy at night. A number of times it went over 200 and I'm guessing that's why I sweat.

I was put on beta blockers at night and it helped a little but not enough so we adding clonidine for a synergistic affect and it'd helped a little bit more, but I still have sweaty & some sleepless nights.

This happened to me a lot during my first few months with POTS - woke up almost every night sweaty with chills (but no fever) - and a few other times during bad spells. I'm sorry your son is going through this right now, I know it can be really uncomfortable and kind of scary because of the things night sweats can be associated with. I'm almost positive mine was from POTS - as far as I know, I don't have any other health issues that would've caused it.

I don't know why it happens, but I hope you can figure it out and get some relief for your son!

Oh, poor kid. Those are no fun at all.

For me, it was prozac that caused the majority of my night sweats. It was happening every night. I was sleeping with icepacks, trying to prevent them.

I stopped taking the med and the frequency of my night sweats decreased to what it was pre-prozac, about once a month.

For me, it is tied somehow to my glucose levels falling and then the liver/adrenals working to bring it back up. I had to do a 3-day fast a few years ago, and they had to bring a fan in the room to blow directly on me. I mean, who gets cold in a hospital???? The point is, when I don't eat, I get hot with the adrenaline kicking in every so often to get my glucose up, over and over. In the mornings, once I eat, I get cool/cold.

Yes - I have had this in the past as well but since starting beta blockers (nadalol) it rarely occurs now. I just chalked it up to a general explanation of an "autonomic surge" without really knowing the precise reasons why. I am just happy that this rarely occurs now. Good luck to your son.