Finally Got A Diagnoses (Sort Of)

Racer

I visited my EP today to discuss the results of my tilt table. I had known the tilt table was positive (I fainted), and had a idea from the tech who did the test what the dx would be.

So the EP reviewed the results of the TTT and said it confirmed "autonomic dysfunction". This is the first time he used the words "autonomic dysfunction", but he did not elaborate on specifics of it (I should have asked way more questions!). He prescribed me meds (waiting on the pharmacy), so the plan is to see if meds help.

So I am wondering, is a dx of "autonomic dysfunction" sufficient, or should I really be looking for a more specific diagnoses?

I dont know if this helps ot not but After my TTT test I was told I had dysautonomia with a sublet of POTS. I was put of atenolol and florinef for the pots and Prescribed neck deep aqua therapy for the dysautonomia. What meds is your doc putting you on?? How I understood is that pots is a condition and result of dysautonomia or autonomic dysfunction.

Yeah it might be helpful for more detail as some with pots need different meds to settle tachy down as an example. But if your main complaint is dizziness or weakness then similar meds may be prescribed for all the oi conditions

I am fairly certain that the EP prescribed meds according to my symptoms along with the TTT results. I guess I will check to see if he went into more detail in the medical record. I guess if I need to explain to other doctors, it will help if I can be a bit more specific of the dx? Is "autonomic dysfunction" even considered a specific diagnoses or just a umbrella term?

I dont know if this helps ot not but After my TTT test I was told I had dysautonomia with a sublet of POTS. I was put of atenolol and florinef for the pots and Prescribed neck deep aqua therapy for the dysautonomia. What meds is your doc putting you on?? How I understood is that pots is a condition and result of dysautonomia or autonomic dysfunction.

I am picking up the prescription tomorrow (I had a insurance issue), so I am not sure yet. I was originally wrongly prescribed Atenolol by a different doctor who misdiagnosed me with LQT syndrome (I am "borderline"). That doctor didnt realize my fainting was caused by BP crashing. I wont be making that mistake again!

Oh wow! For me atenolol works pretty good. When I stand up my heart rate goes really high really fast and my bp drops and I faint and go into convulsions. So the atenolol keeps my heart from going to high. So for what happened when you took the beta blocker??

Oh wow! For me atenolol works pretty good. When I stand up my heart rate goes really high really fast and my bp drops and I faint and go into convulsions. So the atenolol keeps my heart from going to high. So for what happened when you took the beta blocker??

I have similar issues, when I stand my hr goes from a resting of 50-60 to around 130 and my bp crashes. My understanding is that atenolol can lower your bp, so if you bp already goes really low, it could possibly make the situation worse. They dont mess around when they suspect LQT syndrome (to prevent sudden death!). I couldn't make three steps without fainting and was mentally not with it while on atenolol. I only took it for a very short time before it landed me in the ER.

I was also diagnosed with Autonomic Nervous System Disorder. After my TTT in October of 2011 I kept having problems with passing out and also other things started happening like problems keeping my heart rate up and lots of gastrointestinal problems, and many more little things. After a ER visit and a loop recorder implantation my EP realized I had problems with my ANS in December of 2012. I was already on Midodrine which does help. He also put me on a nose spray to help retain water. All I can say is get ready for lots of different treatments. Since there is not a cure I was told they could only treat the symptoms when they come up. The best thing I did was to make a list of all my doctors, medicines,surgeries and diagnosises. Try to keep them with you and always take them to ER.You wouldn't believe how much that speeds things up. Plus, I now have a problem with my memory so it helps there. If you ever need to talk about our have questions just let me know. Good Luck and try to always think positive!

I was also diagnosed with Autonomic Nervous System Disorder. After my TTT in October of 2011 I kept having problems with passing out and also other things started happening like problems keeping my heart rate up and lots of gastrointestinal problems, and many more little things. After a ER visit and a loop recorder implantation my EP realized I had problems with my ANS in December of 2012. I was already on Midodrine which does help. He also put me on a nose spray to help retain water. All I can say is get ready for lots of different treatments. Since there is not a cure I was told they could only treat the symptoms when they come up. The best thing I did was to make a list of all my doctors, medicines,surgeries and diagnosises. Try to keep them with you and always take them to ER.You wouldn't believe how much that speeds things up. Plus, I now have a problem with my memory so it helps there. If you ever need to talk about our have questions just let me know. Good Luck and try to always think positive!

Thanks

I do have a laundry list of symptoms, but the worst of it is fatigue, fainting/near syncope, headaches/migraines, doubled vision. The fatigue was making it hard to do much of anything. Thankfully the midodrine has made a major difference for me so far! When the med is in my system, the fatigue is manageable, the headaches go away, and I can suppress the doubled vision. It is such a drastic change when the midodrine has worn off, I really crash.

While I still have issues and want to figure things out, I am happy to be able to get back to living. Even that the med only get me thru 10-12 hours of the day, I am happy with that.