High Salt Foods & Healthy Salty Recipes

AussieOI

I would be interested to know what High salt foods people eat and if anyone has any good recipes that are high in salt but relatively healthy.

I make a pasta sauce with olives, anchovies, capers & tomatoes and I also make a chicken stew with tomatoes, olives, lemon which is quite nice.

I also try and drink tomato juice although I dont really like it much.

Do people take salt tablets? What Daily Salt intake are people aiming for?

Pickles, beef broth, popcorn (homemade, not pre-packaged), pretzels, canned soup. I don't have any good recipes, but I'm interested to see other people's suggestions!

I take buffered salt tablets, Thermotabs - you can order them online. I tried regular ones before and they made me really nauseous, but these are great.

I'm supposed to be aiming for at least 4 grams of sodium a day but realistically probably get like 2.5. I just started salt-loading and I'm struggling! I don't eat much processed or junk food and I think that's where a lot of dietary salt comes from. I do add it to my food but ugh - it's gross.

I just use Himalayan crystal salt liberally on everything I eat. I'll make a salad with chicken, mixed greens, raspberries, avocado and carrots -- sometimes other stuff. I'll pour about a tablespoon of coconut oil on it then as much salt as I can without making it taste way too salty.

One food I discovered recently for high salt/sodium is soup. I normally never eat soup but not only does it have a lot of sodium - you can add more salt to it and it still tastes great. So far, the soup has had the most notable difference for me. I can tell it's a bit more effective than just using my crystal table salt on stuff that I eat.

Why Himalayan salt, could I ask? I'm reading up on it, but so far I'm just coming across a lot of nonsensical ramblings and bad science. For instance, people are saying that you should use speciality salts "because table salt is sodium chloride!" The daftest article I've read is at http://www.quantumbalancing.com/news/sea_salt.htm

I get 6 grams of salt through NaCl capsules. I can’t tolerate taking them whole so break them open and dissolve 2 at a time into a large water bottle. I also add a Nuun tablet to each water bottle for flavour. I have gotten so used to drinking my water this way that regular water now tastes really funny. I also salt all of my food. Soups, stews, and eggs hide salt really well. Also, tomato slices or granny smith apple pieces with salt are a great snack.

I start each day w a glass of Sole water (16oz water and 2Tbls Sole-highly saturized salt water made w the pink hymalyan salt)

I highly salt my foods and drinks. I've read up on the pink hymalyan salt and don't buy in to all the claims but choose to use it (buy in bulk via amazon) because it is less processed then most of the others out there. So it is my go to salt but if I'm not at home I'll use whatever salt they have. (I also carry a little pouch of it with me in my purse for emergencies.)

I try to limit my intake of vinegar based sodium increase bc I want to limit my tyramine intake.

I try to make homemade soups as much as possible bc as stated above you can load w salt.

Here are a few favorite healthy snacks:

- sliced fresh cucumber chips w salt and dip

- cooked (un trimmed) fresh green beans covered w salt. (kids love this)- a great fry substitute

- potatoes of any kind loaded w salt- amazing how u can cut down on the butter, cream, etc w more salt

- chicken broth (made w natural chicken base found near broths in grocery)

- cottage cheese, loaded w salt for a cheese spread on celery

- salt added to melons of any kind

Does processing matter with salt? I mean, I can see why it matters with wholegrains vs. processed white flour etc., but with salt? I've read that the fancy salts are just dirty, that's what gives them the colour, and the additional nutrients are too small in quantity to be significant.

Thanks for the food list, that's useful. Tomatoes are nice sprinkled with salt too. Also vegetable broth, including the bouillon powders you can get. I've been known to make a mug of soup with Marigold bouillon, extra salt, and some soup pasta and frozen veg such as peas.

I'd never have thought of salting melons.

What's vinegar-based sodium?

Typical table salt is processed with iodide- often called, "Iodized Salt.". Other mass produced salts are processed with soda and labeled that they don't have Iodide added. Iodide is a nutrient that is important but for those of us on high salt diets - we don't want to get too much Iodide. That's why I use the more natural version at home and then when Im out I don't mind using the more processed salts.

The Himalayan pink salt I use is hand mined, 100% natural and is not processed in mass quantities. It is high in natural mineral content (including Gypsym- so I guess you could say it is "dirty.") but it is food grade and is commonly used by gourmet chefs along with other specialty salts.

The following notes just apply to me and my own food/ chemical sensitivities which I suspect I have because of my MCAS and may not apply to you.

I try to avoid bouillon powders or cubes as they usually have MSG and I get a reaction from that. (Didn't realize it at first but after several months I've noticed that trend as others on DINET have suggested.

Also most preserved food products and especially those with vinegar (olives, pickles, etc.) cause a reaction for me. So I try to stay as fresh and natural as I can but it is hard and some days I'm better at it than others.

You are right, salting vegetables and soups is a great way to get more salt in. The salt on melons is amazingly good. Too bad melons aren't in season right now. Makes me hungry thinking about it.

My son needs at least10 grams of salt a day. We use the thermotabs inbetween meals and the regular sodium chloride tablets after meals. In addition to this he drinks a least one liter of gatoraide and 2 liters of water as well as his quota of milk during the day.He's a growing boy 5'7" and and soon to be teenager. He enjoys drinking salty chicken broth on cold winter days and enjoys homemade deer and beef jerky.