Two Questions. One About Paxil And One About Nuclear Stress Test

misstraci

1. PAXIL: what is your experience with it? Good, bad, side effects, improvements, etc.

2. is a nuclear stress test the same thing as the treadmill/echo test? I had a "stress test" a few years ago and it was me walking on a treadmill and then evaluated with an echocardiogram, is nuclear the same thing?

Misstraci,

I had a nuclear stress test a year ago and I was really ill at the time, but I'll try to remember the details :). It involved getting an IV with a small amount of a chemical (that's what they told me ;) - I think Thallium {??} You have to wait a certain amount of time (maybe 20 mins?) then lay flat and have the scans done. It is quite an open scanner - kind of like a big arm that goes around you, so there should be no clausterphobia type issues with it (like MRI or even a CT scan). The scanning itself took a little while (maybe 25-30 mins), but it wasn't scanning the entire time. You lay flat and the machine moves around you. So, that was the 'heart at rest' scan.

Next stage is the treadmill (just like the stress test - monitored by cardiologist, etc), then you wait again -perhaps 15 minutes - and go back to the scanner to have your 'exercised heart' scanned. I managed ok while I was actually on the treadmill, but 5-7 minutes after while sitting with my feet up (to prevent blood pooling), I crashed - had to lie down or pass out. At this point, there were no docs around just lab techs, so they were a little freaked out. I told them I'd be fine, just needed water and to get horizontal. They were running to the nearest computer to google Pots :P

I do feel like there could have been some really great info in that scan if they had gotten me in sooner - apparently it is a good scan for picking up diastolic dysfunction. In the end I think it was about 1/2 hr before they got me back in to the scan.

They will give you a warning that you will not be able to pass through an airport scanner until the chemical passes through your system. So, if you are planning to travel, you would need to have some documentation to explain why you are glowing ;).

All in all the test was fine and I would say it is comparable to the stress/echo in terms of what you will need to go through ( except for the injected chemical). Are you having it done or just wondering about the procedure?

Interesting that you asked about Paxil - I'm hoping people chime in!

I used to take a small amount (maybe 3 mg?) in the afternoon about 7 years ago, but I was in much better health then. I think it helped with depression, anxiety and sleep. I was also taking a low dose of Wellbutrin (can't remember dosage). I can't say that I noticed side effects back then.

However, I just started taking a very small amount about 3-1/2 weeks ago. I break the tablets into tiny bits b/c I am ridiculously hypersensitive to meds. The good news - my mood really does seem a bit "brighter." I feel less anxious, and a bit more hopeful about my future. The downside - I am so spacey!! I'm normally frustrated with my cognitive function, so this is not good: can't remember phone numbers that I've known by heart for YEARS, keep messing up dates (thinking an appt is on a Tuesday instead of Wednesday AFTER checking the calendar, thinking something is three weeks away when it's two - again after looking at the calendar), absolutely couldn't follow simple driving directions that someone gave me, etc. The list goes on. I know these are things that we all do, but I've done about six spacey things that are uncharacteristic for me in the last few weeks. I'm frustrated -- I can't face being less functional than I already am....

Finally, I'm surprised that I seem to have more appetite, especially for sweets. My experience with anti-depressants has been the opposite - I tend to get less hungry, not more. My appetite is not out of control, but not very pleasant. I may have to explore other anti-anxiety options, if all this continues.

Would love to hear others' input....

Paxil actually brought on POTS symptoms for me about 1/2 hour after taking my dose. I kept at it for 2 months but stopped at that point. But, I really do believe that we all react so differently that my experience is likely not going to be yours. A member of my family is on the generic for Paxil and does very well on it (not a dysautonomia sufferer.)

Thanks for all the responses.

Peace, great detailed info, thank you!!! And yes, I have one scheduled for next Wednesday and I was prescribed the Paxil which I haven't started yet. I hate taking medicine, even tylenol. I'm scared of the adverse effects.

Targs, Hopefully others chime in as well. Sorry you are having spaciness and appetite changes like you describe. I wonder if its the specific dose you're on or just the medicine in general. I hope it gets in your system and evens out and that the bad symptoms go away.

Katybug, thank you. I know we're all different; our bodies and reactions. I like hearing from others though. If everyone says its terrible, I'm going to be a bit reluctant.

Misstraci,

the main ingredients are the same but they might use other stuff to "bind" or anything like that. Also I noticed that the brand has a kind of slick outside layer (which makes them very easy to swallow) whereas the generic hasn't and (therefor) tastes really really bad.