A Weird Story About Squats And Oh

green

A friend (who does not have POTS) and I have been going to the gym and doing squats.

Today, we were doing five sets of squats. He and I did the same weight, and mostly the same number of reps but he did 8 instead of 5 on his last two sets. He also did his really fast, and I did mine slower.

Suddenly, the guy is complaining about a headache, feeling dizzy, and we had to quit for the day!

I, however, am fine.

Is that crazy? I'm the one with POTS! I can handle squating 135 lbs (about 80 % my body weight) about as well as someone who has never heard of the syndrome now.

All I know, is that I did the Dr. Grubb protocol this summer, and then kept with it.

Anyway, thought I'd post this to cheer on those of you who are fighting to make progress!

All I know is that cardiovascular exercise is so important, and the elliptical has helped me, immensely. I started out on the stationary bike. Glad to see that you are also working out, Green, and I do believe it is imperative to our health, whether we feel like doing it or not. Fluid loading is important before, during and after, too!! Always check with your doctor before starting any regime, though. :)

I too can do squats now. I couldn't do them when I was healthy, though I did lots of cardio. I can do them now from yoga - and go up and dowm somewhat quickly. I must have built up the strength/tolerance over time. I do feel tired/lightheaded sometimes, but that doesn't last. Once upon a time one squat would put me in bed for a weekend.

I don't do them with weights, though! I am proud of myself just for doing them with my own body, but doing them with weights is amazing. I am impressed!

When I'm working out in any upright position I often grey out. My go to solution is "sit stands", something my trainer taught me. I find a chair and do squats over the chair quickly. Within 30 secs or less my vision in restored and my lightheadedness is gone. Something about that manual pumping of blood back to my brain is so helpful.