Could Someone Help Me Understand These Results?

k&ajsmom

Hi guys,

After reading Bebe's post on trace blood in urine post, it prompted me to look through some of my labs from a while back. I'm not sure what some of them are and was wondering if anyone could interept them for me. I tryed google but have some confusion still lol

first one is timed VMA 24 hr urine

VMA 3.2

2300 mls.

JUst wondering what this was looking for and if it was normal?

second question is; I had a u/a that stated; bilirubin small-trace positive with intact trace blood occult

isn't bilirubin in the urine bad? could this been from a uti?? my liver panel was normal

hope someone can educate me a little...lol

Thank u =)

Sarah,

I know a bit about those numbers but not much...better than nothing though ;)

VMA - vanillymandelic acid (not sure about spelling) this is usually checked along with the metanephrines in order to rule out/confirm a pheochromocytoma (this I know how to spell ;)).

I think your value is normal.

I can only assume that 2300 mls is the total volume of urine.

The bilirubin - to my knowledge - might indicate liver issues, but since your liver panel was fine and your dr didn't consider the test to be worrisome, I'd let it go. You can probably ask your dr next time you see him/her if it's of any significance, or hopefully someone else can give you a better answer here.

Could it be that you were taking any meds that might have been responsible for that?! - that's always a possibility. Also, even the most respected labs have false positive test results, so if you really have doubts ask your dr to repeat the test.

Hope this helps

Hugs,

Alex

Sarah,

So sorry if I caused you undue stress :( not my intention at all. But now, I too will be looking at my results more closely. I have a physical in the spring and I will definately be going over results with Dr. one by one.

I think it's important to note that everyone is different. Dr.s tend to keep us in their little box and if we stray from the textbook we're SOL! I always think of it this way...yes, the normal range for so-and-so (add any test here) is this, but what if that is not normal for us (not "us" as Posties but "us" as in a general human)?? For instance, during my first and only ER visit, my potassium was low. Now for one person, this might not affect them in any way, but I'm me and it might affect me differently. Am I making any sense?? At any rate, we are all different and have different norms.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

{{Hugs}}

Bebe