Maximum Heart Rate -Humorous Also

POTLUCK

When I am running I reach my calculated maximum heart rate and generally continue running for a couple miles after this, often reaching 15 or 20 points above my maximum. If I slow down at maximum so I can keep my heart rate in the range of calculated maximum, I can continue running for a couple miles now.

For anyone who does not know the most common formula for calculating your maximum heart rate is:

220 - ( your age ) = maximum

Anyways, I wondered if people without POTS could go above their calculated maximum and how often this happens. Googling I found this thread:

http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/fitness/happens-reach-max-heart-rate

It answered my question, no this is not normal. However, I also found it funny with the comments such as betting $1000 you have not - I could take this bet and run another 2 miles, or "your heart implodes" or it can't be done.

Do others, if they are able to exercise find there heart goes over calculated max if they exercise.

Ha that is funny. When keeping my heart rate in the taget heart rate zone, at about 60-80% I sometimes feel like I am not doing much at all. I can easily go above my max heart rate....and funny thing is it feels good.....almost that runners high.

Guess I better be careful though :)

Funny indeed.

I reached 220 bmp at rest a while back. Does that make me a newborn? :rolleyes:

I go above my max HR easily - no need for vigorous exercising here, and what's more puzzling for me is the fact that all these pills I'm on should help lower my HR. I can't help but wonder what might happen if I were to discontinue my meds.

Thanks for sharing.

Alex

Implosion lol well obviously none of those people have pots. My max heartrate should be around 190 and I hit 180 sometimes just showering so I think its safe to say I overshoot my max even without exercise sometimes. Like you I wish I could take that bet, it wouldnt take but 3 minutes for me to have a $1000 in the bank lol

*laughs* Pre-beta blockers my HR would happily hit 150 just sitting there, and exercising it would hit 200 just fine. It makes me giggle when I sit on the exercise bike these days and the bike sensor is like "your heart rate isn't high enough!" and I'm like "beta blockers, dude, chill." I wonder what people walking by think when I'm sweating and pedaling hard and fast and the HR meter says 110.