Question about lump in throat

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

Oh gosh---here I am again.....I have a couple of questions, so please hang in there with me.

I have noticed for about three weeks now that I have a constant lump feeling directly in the back of my throat. It feels like someone is poking a finger right through my neck and it's poking into my throat----kind of like a hernia in the throat......... :blink:

I did bring this up to Dr. Grubb on my appointment to get his opinion on it. I guess i'm lazy and don't feel like calling yet another doctor for something that is probably no big deal. It didn't take much of his time to answer. He thought it could have something to do with GERD. He asked me if undigested food comes up sometimes. I told him rarely, and that my indigestion is more of a slow motility issue, and only when I get really backed up, then I might have a little reflux. When this happens i'll take maalox to protect my esophagus.

WE really didn't go on any further about it. I told him i'll call my PCP if it persists. Well it is persisting-----that weird feeling is still there every day. I just hate the thought of calling another doctor. I haven't noticed any digestive issues---not any more then usual. Usually have issues with bowel motility mostly---and some bloating. If I don't "go" for over three days then I feel rather backed up, and i'll also get some belching and indigestion. I tolerate most foods OK other then nuts/seeds/corn--ect. Tomato/spicey---orange juice--all other tomato products are OK, so I doubt I have a true acid reflux issue.

I was thinking I might have to have a swallow study ordered by (PCP)---or should I see an ENT? I have a lot of ear pain issues, and it's always worse in the morning and night. Probably should start with the PCP---huh--? This lump feels like the size of a finger tip. Or maybe I should wait and bring it up to my endocrinologist on the 14th. I do have hashemoto's thyroid disease.

Also, I have a rather large Canker sore-------I just read that they can make a person miserable. I actually felt feverish, and wiped out from it. It made all my pots symptoms seem worse. It was a long and narrow one, right above my right molar tucked deep in the cheek. It literally made my whole right jaw bone hurt. I gargled several times with salt water and applied peroxide directly on it. It is so much better now, and I do feel better. However, I still feel more potsy then usual, and my usual chiari/cervical spine pain is worse---right near the base of my skull. Do any of you get these type of canker sores? It seems when I get them, I get fairly sickly with them.

I have a lot of questions usually, but most of the time I never post them----but this time I thought I would------so forgive me for the jabbering.

Julie :0)

I had that sensation for several years before my spinal surgery. Not sure if the spinal and cranial issues are your reason, but I definitely relate to that sensation. I felt like someone was pressing on my throat, but from the back side, not the front. That sensation returned for the several weeks I had the collapsed bone graft. After the 2nd graft, the sensation has never returned.

Nina

Julie, I just did a quick google search for canker sore and cold sore b/c I wasn't sure what the difference was. (I was thinking maybe you had a cold sore back there--and you could--but you were using the word canker sore...so I didn't know.)

Anyway, here's a good site from mayo clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00354

and the two are not the same thing. At any rate ... have you or anyone else been able to see this thing in your throat? Can you have your husband shine a flashlight down there ... say ahhhh?

I had a friend who used to get hideous cold sores all over the outside and inside of her mouth when she had an outbreak--they attacked her tongue, cheeks, throat. It was horrible for her. So I know it's possible to get painful cold sores in your throat and mouth. I had my first cold sore in the corner of my mouth a couple months ago and it lasted weeks and weeks with no signs of abatement UNTIL I started taking a B-complex vitamin. Within 2 days it started to go away and it got better each day.

If what you have is, in fact, a cold sore ... I recommend immediately taking a B-complex vitamin. You'll feel quick results (another friend who used to suffer from frequent outbreaks turned me on to this cure; she takes this vitamin as a preventative, and so too do I now!)

I hope you feel better soon,

m

I don't have any experience with feeling a lump in the back of my throat, but I've had to deal with canker sores (not cold sores) my whole life! I would go for many months without getting them and then get a flare up of one or two. One thing that I tried two years ago was switching to Biotene toothpaste. It does not have sodium laurel sulfate in it, which can contribute to canker sores and oral cancer (according to the research I read). Many people have also have an allergy to it. Once I switched my toothpaste, I rarely ever get a canker sore now.

My mom's remedy was always to put Alum powder on them for about a minute and then rinse. (Never swallow the Alum powder. It's toxic in high doses, but fine if you don't swallow). It helps to dry up the sore pretty quickly. Anyway, I know how painful they can be. I will get swollen glands when I get a canker sore too. Your remedy of swishing with salt water and peroxide works great, and adding B-complex and Lysine helps too.

If I get them now, it's usually due to stress or hormonal changes.

Hang in there. :blink:

Oh, and if you keep getting cold sores or canker sores, see you gp. Teri gets these all the time--and so does my sister--both take acyclovir orally, and use zovirax topically. The vitamin supplements mentioned above can help too.

My guess would be that if you had a canker on your throat, you'd feel more of a pain sensation rather than a pressure sensation, but it can't hurt to have someone take a peek and check for any lesions.

Nina

Hi, Julia. I've noticed that when my neck is especially tight, I'll feel as though I have a lump in my throat. I get systemic reactions to foods and cats, so I get this feeling quite often from allergies, too, but when I've not eaten anything I'm allergic to and have not been around cats, I really analyze to see how my neck is feeling. If it's tight, I know the "lump" is probably my throat skin being pulled tightly across my larynx, causing me to have a hard time swallowing. Does that make sense? This, sometimes, feels like I have a lump in my throat about the size of a quarter. I'm probably the only person in the world who has this explanation for throat lumps, and if I'm all wet, please just ignore this post! :lol:

I do hope you find an answer soon so you'll begin to feel better.

Linda

Guest Julia59

Thanks for the tips everyone----i'll check them out. I'm sure it's a canker sore as a cold sore would probably last a lot longer. I have gotten these before. Each time I do get them, I get that sickly feeling all over. I just wondered if people with dysautonomia were more likely to get them.

I don't recall getting cold sores on my lips or the corners of my mouth, but my dad gets them when he is stressed. My mother in law gets them every time she gets a cold, and my sister in law is the same as my dad----stress. I have some b12 that disolve under my tongue, and Dr. Grubb gave me a few samples of cerefolin and that also has some B vitamins----so i'll be getting more B vitamins, then I can see if that helps.

I did notice the lump in my throat after lifting my Son's girlfriend's daughter. I don't remember exactly, but it was some time after I watched her a couple of time's. She only weighs about 20 pounds though. I do have a terrible time with upper body strength, and I avoid lifting anything over 10 pounds. Dr. Grubb put down that I shouldn't lift over 10 pounds also. She is adorable----my son and his girlfriend were in a pinch and needed someone to watch her daughter Kaela. Ugg-----I'd be in big trouble if I had my own-------ouch. Now if I watch her, my husband helps, and fortunately she is going to become a toddler soon and can climb on my lap herself. I can't even push a grocery cart without it affecting my neck and upper back---all the way up to the crown of my head.

The neuro doc here in Toledo is having his doubts about Dr. Bolognese's diagnosis. Basically he is ignorant about chiari---and chiari related disorders. He said he didn't want to hear any more about the Chiari Institute and he is sending me the The University of Michigan. So I have to wait and see what this other neurosurgeon has to say. I kind of went round and round with him and argued the point that Dr. Heffez was the first to diagnose the chiari----and that both docs were pretty experienced with these type of disorders.

And actually I don't think the chiari is the main issue---it's my upper cervical spine and the retroflex odontoid--(the upper vertebrae-C1 is tilted and has pannus growth, you can see it on the MRI---pressing on the brain stem.). Combined with the cervical spine stenosis and the other heriniated disks it is causing a lot of instability. I think the chiari is actually a small posterior fossa (bottom of skull) due to the other problems. This neuro I am seeing is not very experienced with these specific issues. But at least he is not throwing the towel in yet. OOOOOOOOOOO----HE NEVER SMILES---NEVER. It turns out he is my husband's sister's neighbor---lives right accross the street.

I'm wondering if this is from my neck issues. I'll start with my PCP, unless i'll be seeing the neurosurgeon in michigan fairly soon. Basically, I feel like i'm falling apart from the middle of my back up to the top of my head. My lower back hasn't been the best, but I can live with that. I hate to whine about this, but I find it so hard to believe that I can have so much going on at once. Nina----i'll bet you feel that way too----as i'm sure you all must experience this from time to time, just overwhelmed with so many things going on at once with your body. Golly Gee Willikers----Enough is enough-------------- :lol:

Julia - Have you been tested for active HHV6 Virus? This is the herpes ( chicken pox virus) most of ther population has this virus but it usually lays dormant in most people after exposure, and only comes out as a cankor or cold dore once in a while during a cold or stress, and for some not at all.

If your system is compromised , then it can remain active in cycles...

I have been suffering with cankor sores, swollen glands, lump in the throat for years , and with it I get feverish, and sick feeling. My Lyme Dr tested me and I came back positive for active infection.....

He said that this virus when flared causes not only cankor sores in your mouth , but in your throat even in your stomach lining etc.... And in turn your glands swell and you feel sick. Thus the lump feeling in your throat etc.....

He put me on Zovirax, and since then my flares have been much much less....like right now I have a virus and I only had a small flare.

Just a thought. Feel Better!

Guest Julia59

Jenn202,

Thanks for the information---I will bring it up to my PCP when I see him. A long time ago I brought the herpes virus up to my OB/GYN because my ex-husband had it. He told me if I hadn't gotten it by now that I am probably immune to it. I'm doubting that, but the only type of mouth sore I have ever had was a canker sore. I have never had any type of coldsore, unless I had one when I was too young to remember. The canker sore is healing right now, but I still have a lump in my throat.

I don't think this lump is related as I have had it a while now. It almost feels near the windpipe area----very close anyway. It kind of gave me a panic feeling, but now I am used to it.

Also, thanks Steph for that inforamtion as well. I can get air---it's not a real problem with this lump in the throat issue. It just feels like a hernia type thing in my throat. I do get an irratated Vagus nerve. When that happens it's more of a panic feeling and I just have to be still for a moment to get my bearings---and it usually passes. Sometimes my Vagus nerve gets going when I eat.

I 'm thinking the lifting I did aggravated my cervicval spine and cranial isues. I also have a couple of herniated disks on C7/T1 and T1/T2 areas in addition to the other mess. I complain about the pain in that area more then the other pains. But all the doctors claim the pain in that area is from the cervical spinal stenosis/chiari as it can make the body hurt all over.

The only time I feel short on air, is when I get the Chiari headaches in the back of my head. I always gets ear aches with it too. I generally feel like the wind is knocked out of me when that happens. On those days I am very careful not to over do it---otherwise my heart will act up too.

You all are so nice for helping me, thanks again. I'm calling the Doc today. I hate doing it----but I think I should.

Hi julie - I know exactly where your lump is ..a little above where the indent to your windpipe is...... ANd every time you swallow you feel it and it seems like you cant breath although you are getting air... Its a weird sensation, like a pressure, and mine would get sore too...I have had it for years.... It was one of my original symptoms.... I was later diagnosed with Lyme disease, and now most recently the autonomic dysfunction.

I have to say after the zovirax it has gone away.....

I hope your Dr can help you find answers..good luck and feel better! :P

There's a disorder called globus I think. Oh darn this foggy brain. It's a feeling like a lump in your throat and is miserable. I believe it used to be considered a "psych" problem of course, but my GI doc doesn't think it is. I'm not sure what they do about it. You could have a stricture high up in your esophagus too, they are uncommon, but I have one, and besides what IS common about any of us. :P I have to get dilated every three months or the top part of my esophagus closes off. So you might check on that. Even if you don't think you have reflux, you may be having a lot more than you think. My sone gets 5-10 canker sores at any given time in his mouth, he has inflammatory bowel disease. They are better since he's been on meds. There's a solution called Reynold's solution that really helps with cankers. It's a rinse and spit thing. You might ask your dentist or doctor about it. morgan