So How Do Y'all Get 10 Grams For Salt Per Day?

Amelia

So I have hyperadrenergic pots. I have been getting a lot of my salt intake by putting it in water. Today my dad called and said that drinking salt water is bad for you. He said that it can be very hardon your kidneys. He said it would be better to salt your food? Just wondering how everyone does it?

I get about 5 grams a day. I measure it out in am and start by adding a quarter to half tsp of salt to gatorade in am. Then as day goes on I try to use the rest by salting my food. And once in a while have a another of those gatorade drinks later in day but not usually. I don't eat soy sauce or canned soups that are high in sodium as I get headaches from those foods. So, I do salt chicken, rice, meats and veggies heavily. I eat crackers, pretzels and tomatoes for extra sodium. None of my doctors really weighed in other that saying up salt and have at least 3 grams.

Have you been told to take in 10 grams? Have you been able to get that much in?

I found a list of "high sodium foods to avoid" ( that you can find on goggle) and then try to eat as many as I can eat! LOL Cottage cheese, canned soups, pickles, condiments/sauces, cheese etc. The problem is a lot of these are actually migraine triggers, so you have to be careful of that if you have migraines too. Once in awhile, I'll eat a couple potato chips and pour a lot more salt on them. Some foods seem to be able to take more salt than others, so I try to eat some of those regularly (spinach/potatoes/chicken/rice, etc)

We've had this discussion several times before too, so you might want to search on this forum for the topic. I believe one thread was called "salty bananas" (in the chit-chat forum) where people discussed their odd eating habits and things they liked to salt that normal people didn't.

I eat salt straight - pour some (usually 1tsp = ~6g of salt) on my palm, lick a portion of it up, then put some water in my mouth, swish, and swallow. I've always loved to eat salt straight, though, so this definitely doesn't work for some. Eating salt on a full stomach is definitely better for me.

(also, I'm not a doc, but the method of ingestion of salt shouldn't matter)

I get 2 liters of iv fluids Sodium Chloride with Potassium a day and 500 ml of the same thing at night . So, basically I'm attached to fluids all the time. Funny, but my sodium levels used to be higher when I was getting fluids less or just drinking salt and adding it to my food.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have hyperadrenergic pots. I have been getting a lot of my salt intake by putting it in water. Today my dad called and said that drinking salt water is bad for you. He said that it can be very hardon your kidneys. He said it would be better to salt your food? Just wondering how everyone does it?

Amelia, I buy organic sea salt by the bag. This is the brand I get, and you can read about the huge difference in sea salt and salt that is mined, (regular table salt) http://www.redmondnatural.com/

I bought a bag of empty soft gel capsules from the health food store, and made my own sea salt capsules.

Also find that to use 'Electromix'...At health food stores, Whole Foods, but cheaper to order online.

I don't care for Gatoraide and but a packet of Electromix in a small amount of cold water. It helps.

Good luck!

(I'm in the process of being tested for MCA hyperadrenergic Pots since I started flushing and vomiting.)