Why Is My Insurance Company Calling About "my Health"?

My health insurance company has called twice leaving messages saying I need to call them and speak to their nurse about my health. I'm worried - I've seen lots of Doctors and had lots of tests done over the years - is it too much, can they drop me? There's still more to pursue - I can't lose my insurance now. Has anyone been contacted like this or have any idea what they might want?

I'm in an HMO, and my insurance company had one of their nurses call me a few years ago. She was very nice to me, and she told me that she had been assigned to manage my case (or something like that). I think they were doing that with people with a lot of chronic health problems. She said I could call her if I had any questions about my health conditions. I never called her again because I didn't need her help at the time. I can't find the card she mailed me, so I don't know if she's still assigned to me or not. I figured they thought if I knew I could call her first, I might save them some money by not going to the doctor or ER if she could help me, but I'm not really sure. My insurance company even had someone else call me to see if I had scheduled a mammogram yet. Hopefully, that's all it is for you too. I'm sending positive thoughts your way that it's nothing for you to worry about!

I see Jangle gave a similar reply at the same time that I was writing, so that's likely all it is.

My insurance company also gave me a nurse "case manager." She calls and checks in every six months or so, just in case I have any questions...the problem is that she's never heard of two of my conditions and I end up educating her! Call them back and educate them. Occasionally, they can be a good resource for finding doctors. One of the nurses that I've had like this actually called several docs and asked if they treated POTS, she promptly called back and told me that they didn't. Good try though. Let us know what they say.

I had a case worker from my insurance call right after I got out of the hospital with C. Dif. She asked a ton of questions about my health, and I had to educate her on a ton of stuff. I was scared too that they were going to try to drop me from insurance because some of my stuff is super expensive, but so far they haven't done anything.

Have had several calls like this Naomi. I think it's probably like others have said. It is scary when you hear them on the answering machine though. And, like others have noted, they call to see if they can help you understand your health issues and then when you tell them what your health issues are, there is usually a really long pause and a " well then, it seems like you know a lot about your condition and there's probably not a lot I can do for you, but here's my number in case something else comes up I can help you with...." :)

I have insurance through a private company and they had one of their nurses call me and offer to help me "manage" my illness. I couldn't resist - my bad....I had to play with her a little bit....I began quizzing her on dysautonomia, AAG, and related issues along with current treatments and pending experimental treatments. She was very quiet for awhile then admitted she didn't know anything about this disease. She quickly decided I could manage my own case when she found out I was a RN for more than 30 years with specialties in emergency, trauma, and teaching. Let's see..that was a couple of years ago.....the insurance company never called back.......hum.....wonder why? :D I know, I was a bit cruel but, it was amusing!

My insurance company sent me a couple of letters recently to enroll in some "chronic disease" program that pairs you up with a nurse manager. Weird that we are getting this right now. Maybe it has something to do with pre-existing and trying to find out exactly why I keep going to many, different doctors??

The pamphlet they sent me said for this help was for those that suffer these chronic illnesses, and it listed alot of your typical autoimmune things like lupus, mult. sclerosis, etc. I never sent my paperwork back in, because technically, I've never been diagnosed with any of those autoimmune illnesses. But who knows if I may have another autoimmune illness! Finally the nurse called me to ask if I had ever received the paperwork and I told her I had. She asked why I had not sent anything back in and I explained that I had never been diagnosed with any of those illnesses. She said, ok, and that was that. Seems suspicious.