Anyone Try The Gatorade/no Gluten Lifestyle Change?

spinner

My symptoms have been really bad the last month so Im gonna try sixty days without gluten and see what happens. Im two days without gluten and have definitely felt slightly better.

I was doing the salt water hydration, but just happened to buy a couple gatorades the other day around lunch before I'd eaten anything, and I felt WAY better within an hour. I didnt take my usual klonopin until late that night.

Im wondering if anyone knows--

--does the gatorade work better on an empty stomach?

--can you make homemade gatorade without the added sugar/carbs, and where do you get

the ingredients to mix?

-Which type of pots would most benefit from the no gluten diet and why?

--how long does it take to get maximum results from a no gluten diet?

So far im two days into this, im still crashing after about 7 hours of very light activity/work but before then it seems like it was 4 hours if lucky. I'll take any improvement i can get. Thanks for any information.

I'm wondering if the sugar is what helped (how long did that feeling better feeling last?) since you mentioned it was before lunch. My doc has actually always said that the added sugar messes with the helpfulness of the electrolytes. Depending on what your salt water hydration is, I wonder if something like smart water or even pedialyte would have the same effect. I find that smart water or the traders joes equivalent (way cheaper) helps me, more than regular water.

And if it is in fact the sugar that helped, then maybe some of crash is blood sugar related (which, of course, is regulated by the same lunatic nervous system as everything else). Mine certainly is, especially if I'm really busy and forget to snack.

Glad to hear things are improving! Good luck with the no-gluten plan!

it coudl have been a sugar boost, but this last for a solid 8 hours, which is unheard of for me. So i think it was

the electrolytes or something, along with the sodium.

I really want to learn how to make my own batch of stuff to drink by the gallonn.

yes, ive had a few minor digestive issues, but the gluten free seems to be counteracting them.

thanks for the recipe---actually in doing some research last night I discoverd that coconut oil is LOADED

with electrolytes so i might add some to that recipe and see what happens. I want the gatorade benefits,

but i dont want the sugar.

For a homemade Gatorade try googling Gookinaid. A renowned CFS MD, Paul Cheney, has a recipe for it somewhere. It has a lot of potassium chloride in it (NoSalt at the store) along with Sodium. There was a product called Gookinaid and it is now called Vitalyte. It doesn't have stevia, sugar, corn fructose in it and it can be bought online in a canister. I tried it but the little bit of Vit C in it bothered me.

Many folks on this site drink coconut water, not oil. It is easily found at most supermarkets and hf stores. Very high in potasssium- about 600 mg per drink.

In spite of the sugar and dyes in Gatorade, it seems to agree with me the most of anything other than water.

I also recommend coconut water. I used to drink lots of Vitamin Water Zero, Gatorade G2 and Sobe Lifewater, but I've found coconut water to be more beneficial. I'm wary of too much sugar as well as artificial sweeteners, so coconut water seems to be the way to go for me. I like the Vita Coco brand the best as far as flavor goes. I'm glad it's gained popularity with the mainstream because I can even find it out in the sticks where I live :lol:

I'd go gf for life but that's just my opinion. Dr hadjivassilou recommends that his patients expect it to take a whole year to see results when trying it for gluten ataxia. It took me a whole year to recover from mine. Theglutenfile explains this.

No one I know can tell you exactly how your body will respond to the gf diet. It's all based on damage, genetics and available nutrients. The paleo / wahls diet eliminated most of my symptoms but not oi. I'm trying the mast cell protocal now.

I like fresh coconut water but it's a pain to get. The packaged coco water gave me a sugar boost and I didn't notice any electrolytes. I drink spring water + concen trace minerals. And eat

my electrolytes. Oranges followed by a couple of nuts are a good pick me up.

Tc .. D

Ps. I had a bad reaction to the potassium in cheney's gookinaid.

I have not gone gluten free but a big fan of Gatorade- lemon lime (fewest added ingredients.). I find drinking a big container of it fast can help me out of a small migraine or fog temporarily. On a bad flare haven't found anything other than saline IV therapy. I average about 1 per day and usually take w/ me to the gym.

I really dislike the added sugar but seems my GI can handle it. I agree w the coconut water suggestion. I have recently started drinking this and think it might even help me feel better than the Gatorade because of the isotonic component but- it's more expensive and difficult to add salt to. It is also an acquired taste.

I do use and love coconut oil - find it is great on the skin too.

I love smart water! It just tastes like really fresh water, there is no sugar or flavor but it is infused with electrolytes. Depending on the flavor, Gatorade can mess with my stomach...

Im going to spend part of this weekend experimenting with the various ingredients mentioned here, and find the right combination for electrolytes, magnesium, potassium, salt. I want to be able to create a gallon off the stuff at a time to last 2-3 days, without all the sugar. A friend of mine who is asian says you can buy stuff at this asian store. I'll just down a glass of it AM, and then keep sipping on it. The only problem is ive gained more water weight because im mega-hydrating the past month but hopefully this low carb/gluten eating will counter act that.