Do You Feel Worse On Certain Days Of The Week?

Libby

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I work Monday through Friday, and I've definitely experience symptoms at work that have made me want to just go home and pass out or throw up. But I've noticed that the days I'm my worst are generally Saturday and Sunday. Bad for my social life, but good in that I can keep a job.

Is this a self-fufilling prophecy? I give myself permission to feel crappy, so I do. Everything I can measure shows up worse on the weekends, so it's not ALL in my head...

Is there a pattern with anyone else?

My feeling is that it has to do with adrenaline. When your body has to get through something (be it a crisis / workday / outing, etc), adrenaline will kick in to give you that extra boost to get through it, but on the week-ends you don't need it so you may be having a rebound reaction/recovery from taxing your body all week. I'm not able to work, but I always have the crash after my outings. Sometimes it's immediate, but if it's been a bigger outing or required more exertion, I will actually be ok that same day (presumably because I'm still feeling the adrenaline), but the next morning I will be unable to get out of bed and it wipes me out for the whole day.

It is not the particular day of the week but, how loaded the day is. I know on the days I have to go from sun-up to sun-down, I am going to get very tired and have an increase in symptoms. I know that when I have to take care of grandchildren for a protracted amount of time, I will get tired and have more symptoms. If I have to stand up for very long, I'm going to have a harder time than when I can stay seated in my quiet little office. I try to balance as much as possible but, it seems everything happens at once and some days are just long and difficult!

I agree with AllaboutPeace's comment above. I think it's got to do with adrenaline (and/or cortisol)? I find that the nervous anticipation I get before work or even social situations really boosts me up. I don't feel well, but I think it makes my BP rise and stay stable for a bit, and enables me to get through what I need to get through. When the event is over, I crash. I think that's a very normal physiological response to the demands of life, but the difference with us is the toll that the "up" days take.

It's DEFINITELY not all in your head!! :)

Before I fired my PCP, I tried in anguish to explain to him that I can rally pretty well, but when it's over I feel just terrible with nausea and lightheadedness that lasted for days. Of course, that was before I totally crashed and couldn't even muster a rally. So I totally agree with the above comments.

I'm actually the opposite - I am cruddy when it's a weekday and feel okay when it's the weekend. A lot of this is due to the fact that I am rarely alone during the weekends - partner or housemates are almost always around - and so I am surrounded by people who know me and my limits rather than by sometimes less careful coworkers. Plus, with the spaciness - I do a lot better when walking with someone, and that's only true on the weekends.