Eat Seven Times A Day?

For metabolism and blood sugar and for my stomach I'm supposed to eat around seven times a day. Not a lot, just like seven snacks. Does anyone else do this? If so what kind of things do you eat? And how do you do this while dealing with nausea?

I probably eat about five or six times a day. I eat three normal meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner), plus a snack in the afternoon and a snack right before bed, and sometimes one mid-morning too. In the snacks I tend to eat fresh fruit, nuts, cheese, toast (good for nausea), plain rice (also good for nausea), saltines, or (occasionally!) chocolate or another sweet. For away from home times, I grab granola bars, chai lattes (they're pretty high-calorie), random baked goods, cups of soup, keep Goldfish and nuts in my bag, etc. For nausea I eat Goldfish crackers (my secret vice). What I would do with the nausea is try several things and see what you tolerate best - for me it is plain carbohydrates or nuts. You might find that raw veggies (carrot sticks, fresh peas, etc) are better for you. Whatever works, haul that out when the nausea is particularly bad and you need to snack.

I graze really...I have never been much of an eater even before POTS.... my gastro dr says I have a very compacted stomach and mild gastroparesis so eating makes me very uncomfortable quickly. So I probably have about 10 -12 tiny snacks a day.....no simple carbs....no wheat or gluten (I find its just too hard on my system) I drink smoothies a lot if I just can't eat or have nausea

I eat two breakfasts, two lunches, one afternoon snack and then supper. I do not have nausea, but do eat often for low blood sugar reasons. Everything I eat at the meals is a small serving, such as 1/3-1/2 cup of unsweetened cereal with almond milk(unsweetened), or cheese on one piece of gluten-free brown rice bread with mayo. At night it's usually meat with veggies. Sometimes I make an almond or rice milk smoothie with blueberries, but I add 1/2 scoop protein powder to help balance the fruit sugar. If I am away from home, peanut butter crackers are my staple.

ever since my gastric bypass 9 years ago I have eaten small meals...I love the string cheeses they have out now, and I bring fruit cups (in own juice) or occasionally jello cup to work with me. I only get nauseous on occasion and always thought it was from my surgery....smoothies help me then and dry toast

I eat 5-6 times a day.

One of the best things I did for my stomach was remove ALL dairy. My dr also gave me digestive enzymes.

I try to gauge how im feeling before I decide what to eat. If its bothering me I eat something bland like an egg or a banana

Usually in the morning I have either a protien shake or protien muffin.

For lunch, a lot of times leftovers or 1/2 sandwich or an egg.

Snack- nuts or fruit

Dinner- my mom meat and a vegetable & fruit

Snack- banana or nuts or smoothie

My dr told me once I could put anything in a blender to make a smoothie, even meat if purée is easy to digest. Usually it is.

I have to eat like this, too. I think most people hit most types of food above. I would add that I have found whole wheat bagel thins are a good whole grain carb option with a small shmear of cream cheese or peanut butter. Speaking of peanut butter, sometimes, I eat just a spoonful or two of this for a snack. I will also take a slice of lunch meat and roll it in a slice of cheese and I also keep already cooked chicken tenders that are ready for heating in the microwave around if I'm trying to get a big, quick protein boost without any carbs. I have also been freezing berries and favorite fruits in 1 cup servings in baggies and then sticking them in the Magic Bullet blender with non-fat plain yogurt (if you want it sweeter, you can add a touch of maple syrup or honey) and whizzing up some fresh frozen yogurt for a sweet but healthy snack. I will also make some homeade hummus (I have allergies to some spices so the store bought stuff isn't an option) and eat that with corn tortilla chips. The hummus is good fiber and decent protein (plus I crave garlic when I'm nauseated.) I try to be good about counting out the chips based on what the bag says is a serving size (its actually a pretty big serving for these.) Progresso vegetable soups are also a favorite because you get a serving of veg and they are pretty high sodium if you have to salt load plus you get some fluids built right into your snack.

Thanks for all the ideas!- I dont think it will be as hard as I thought. :)

I agree with all the previous posts and would add that it is my understanding that if you have Gastroparesis than you should be following a diet low in fat content. Fat is hard to digest and will cause both nausea and pain when you eat fatty foods. As others have said, it will be trial and error to find the foods that you can eat. A good book: Calorie Fat & Carbohydrate Counter by the Calorie King Allan Borushek-Dietician helps with identifying how much fat and carbs are in foods including fast foods eaten outside the home. Google Gastroparesis and you will find foods that will work for you. The website www.CalorieKing.com is helpful too. Good luck :)

Edited by corina