Maybe...some Day

sue1234

This is one of the most bizarre medical things I've read in a long time! If they can link a tick bite to a meat allergy, why and the heck can't they figure something like POTS out(talking about the unknown, sudden onset type)? I mean, really, how did a doctor run into patients that now have an allergy to meat and come up with tick saliva as the culprit?? Those lucky patients that had this/these researchers!

I haven't run into ANY doctors that go into my life history, so how would they know what I've run into in my life? Where are these doctors that delve into your whole history so they can actually THINK on possibly how POTS came into your life?

http://news.yahoo.com/allergic-meat-lone-star-tick-may-vegetarians-133418695--abc-news-health.html

Where are these doctors that delve into your whole history so they can actually THINK on possibly how POTS came into your life?

I don't know where they are - I've been looking for one for 15 years. I've probably seen 50 plus Doctors and have yet to meet the one determined to get to the bottom of my problem. It's been my biggest frustration besides the illness itself.

Tell me about it. And BTW, that doctor states that most food allergies happen sooner than six hours, which is not true. Most food allergies are delayed, including mine. I can have hives and itching anywhere from three hours to three days later. SOME people have immediate reactions but that is actually the less common (but more serious) type.

He also states that it is unusual for adults to develop food allergies. So I'm the only one? I think not. Sigh...

"Commins said blood levels of antibodies for alpha-gal, a sugar found in red meat, lamb and pork, rise after a single bite from the lone star tick. He said he hopes experiments that combine tiny samples of tick saliva with the invisible antibodies will prove the two are directly connected."

Interesting .. I have trouble with digesting these meats but assumed it was either gastroparesis or lack of digestive enzymes. Maybe that's just a part of what this tick bite does too tho.

Doctors who practice Functional medicine work to discover the root causes by running a multitude of tests. But in many cases, like mine, they have their hands full with the variety and severity of positive diagnosises. I'm on Medicare too and broke so my tests are limitted to what Medicare will pay for and what treatments / supplements I can afford.

I may ask to get this test run tho ... tx ... d

I don't eat a lot of meat, but I've been bitten twice by ticks in the last month. This is getting ridiculous. I saved the last one so they can test it. I was just checked for Lyme disease about 10 months ago. I guess they'll have to do it again. My dysautonomia started with a virus of unknown origin.

I was bit by a tick roughly 20 years ago, in Texas. Oddly, it looked just like that picture, so now I wonder if it was a Lone Star tick! But, at the time and for years after, I didn't have any health issues except my manageable low blood sugar. POTS didn't show up for about 15 years after that.

If a tick bite can cause this, who knows if a mosquito bite or anything similar might transmit something they are not aware of yet?