Hypoglycemia And Pots

Hey Guys. So I went to my pediatrician yesterday to discuss some stuff and one of the things was the low blood sugar. I told her how I had been feeling and that I think it may be low blood sugar (my grandma and great grandma have hypoglycemia). I had talked to my grandma and told her how I felt and she told me it sounded like what she has. Well at the doctor yesterday they took my blood sugar and I wasnt having an episode at the time so of course the reading was fine... the doctor told me it probably is that but told me to just keep an eye on it and to let her know if things get worse or if it happens more frequently. I was sent home with some papers about it and that was that. So last night I had another episode and it was the worst I have ever had. I was sitting in the car and all of a sudden it hit me. I felt like I was on cloud 9 somewhere, tired, headache, fogginess, shakiness, lightheadedness, and felt so out of it that I could barely hold a converstaion on the phone with my sister. It was terrible I came home and tried to go to bed. Eventually I went to sleep and woke up this morning feeling weak and shaky. I had to call my doctor anyway this morning to give her answers to some questions that she had for me and so I told the nurse that I had saw her yesterday and that I had a bad episode this time with slurred speech and hearing going in and out. She told me that my doctor wasn't in today and that she would call me back if my doctor or another doctor though I should monitor my blood sugar levels. So with all that said would low blood sugar be related to pots? Does anyone else have this? If so please share any information you might have. Also with my gastroperisis I havent been able to eat that much so I am sure that is contributing to it.

Thanks.

Kayla, I have had low blood sugar for 20 years, but it really has gotten bad in the last 3 years. I just had a bad episode this morning! When I get low, my brain feels anxious and out of it, my muscles get weak, yet stiff, my arms tingle, my heart is racing and I feel like I am going to pass out. I have literally walked away from a conversation when this happens, because your brain can no longer multi-task or focus. You have one goal, and that is to get sugar in you! When my symptoms are lightweight, I just eat something with some carbs and then protein. If I feel it is more serious, I take a glucose tablet and then eat. Within 15-20 minutes I finally feel calmed down.

My endocrinologists are not great at figuring it out, and my POTS doctors are clueless regarding this possibly connected to the hypos. I think they are connected, as there are way too many people on this forum that have hypoglycemia.

Can you ask you clinic for a prescription for a glucose meter so you can check your fasting levels, and then 1 hour after meals? Also, def check when you are having symptoms. When my symptoms got worse 3 years ago, I bought a meter and tested when I got anxious and shaky. Sure enough, my glucose was already in the 50s. Normal is 70-100.

ok yea thts wat i was thinking was asking about getting a meter but she saide she didnt think that was necessary and the nurse told me if the symps get bad go to urgent care or ER I thought tht was funny becuz tht makes no sense to do tht if I dnt even knw wat my blood sugar levels are? I would like to monitor it and let them know so I can know for sure if this is wat is causing it.

I have low blood sugars too, I usually plan my day around eating. I always take something to eat with me when I go out (and a drink of course). Lately though my blood sugars went up for some reason but came back down again as well a few days later. I think my problems are linked to my POTS/Dysautonomia, like Sue I've had them for over 20 years but things got worse in the last 5 years or so.

Ok thanks for all the replies guys :) So talked to the nurse today and a bit mad :angry: or frustrated at that. She talked to the doctor and my doctor said she dosen't want me pricking my fingers and cheking my blood sugar so she just wants me to watch out for it and if it doesn't get better then she wants me to come in again.... :huh: ?? I wanted to be like seriously? It just urks me why she wouldnt' want me to see what it's like when I am getting those feelings to rule out if it is low blood sugar or if it isn't .

It would be nice to knw and plus I have pots and if it isn't low blood sugar then to let me cardiolgoist knw wat is going on to see if maybe there is something he would like to do about it. The symptoms I am having are uncomfortable, scary, and annoying to deal with. I don't want to have to keep on feeling like this ugh. I dnt want to test my sugars and waste money if the doc says its not necessary at this point but also i dnt wana hve to wait for weeks and then go back for another appt... I mean really, what is tht gona do? What is she planning on doing when I got back? She says that she would be concerned if it was still going on and would want to look into it furtehr to make sure it is not someting more serious? which i dont understand either. ^_^ sorry this is gettin long lol.

Hugs to everyone :wub:

That sure is a good deal! I'm going to have to get that next time I need strips! Docpots, do you have hypoglycemia or diabetes?

Neither. I start getting symptoms of hypoglycemia and POTS around a blood sugar of 90. I suspect it's because of the cerebral hypoperfusion disrupting the brain's auto regulation of glucose hunger. In other words, my brain senses the fall in blood sugar and the ANS over-reacts.

i have told my dr. about the symptoms as u describe, they have done labs and say my sugar is ok. of course my sugar is going to be ok, i am not having an episode at the time they draw my blood. i bought a sugar monitor on my own, and test my blood when i am feeling anxious, and weird. my blood level will read between 60 and 70. if my sugar is over 70/72 i feel fine, but when it drops under that i have symptoms. my dr. told em there's nothing i can do, but watch my sugar and eat when its low.

this is the same dr. that i complained about back pain for 10 years, and they wait til I am in extreme pain and cant walk before they do an mri.

Yep, I have hypoglycemia too. Actually, via a gtt + insulin, we figured out that I have hyperinsulinemia. Meaning I over produce insulin.

Can you get your doc to order this test ? It needs to include insulin. This test and a blood glucose monitor helped me figure out that I start to feel bad if my glucose gets below 80. And I never saw it go over 140. Eating too much fruit at one sitting makes me fuzzy headed right away, nauseas appr 30 minutes later, and extremely sleepy later on.

I'm not sure why she has a problem with you checking your blood glucose. Personally, I find doing research on ourselves both entertaining and educational. It only takes a drop of blood. Do you think it's because she's used to dealing with young children ? Tc .. D

Well I don't think it has to do with young children... see my doctors office is a Adolescent Practice that does ages 11-22yrs old but they are pediatricians who deal with just teenagers. So not really a young child thing I am not really sure why she doesn't want me to... maybe she doesn't want me to scare myself? She thinks also if it keeps happening there might be something more serious thats underlying tht....she said if I don't get better then she wants me to come back in for I think she said like to find out if there is a underlying condition to wats going on thts more serious and to do testing I dnt quite remember everything.