pregnancy and POTS

Christine

Welcome Christine. How exciting it is to be thinking about starting a family. I wish you the very best in that. I am glad you found us, and hopefully we can help provide some of the support and information you are looking for on this topic.

Our experiences with pregnancy all vary A LOT, and there have been MANY discussions on this forum in the past on this topic.

Here are some links to previous threads to get you started:

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=201

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=1094

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=514

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=238

After reading through these, if you still have questions, we can try to answer them!

Katherine

Welcome Christine.  How exciting it is to be thinking about starting a family.  I wish you the very best in that.  I am glad you found us, and hopefully we can help provide some of the support and information you are looking for on this topic.

Our experiences with pregnancy all vary A LOT, and there have been MANY discussions on this forum in the past on this topic.

Here are some links to previous threads to get you started:

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=201

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=1094

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=514

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=238

After reading through these, if you still have questions, we can try to answer them!

Katherine

Dear Katherine,

Thank you for the information and yes, I am new to this and actually I have a lot of questions but I am still dealing with the fact that I have POTS.

Thanks again,

Christine

Christine,

I would never discourage anyone from having a baby. Both my pregnancys were difficult due to all day "morning sickness." It was hard to stay hydrated. My BP was low throughout. Some fainting episodes, but it was definately worth it. My boys are wonderful. I remember having alot of tachycardia after I think aggravated due to lack of sleep. I was medication free throughout. Plus looking back I wasn't drinking enough fluids. If you have a supportive husband and family I say go for it. My kids have kept me going sometimes when I would of just given up. They give us strength of spirit.

Dawn

Christine,

I would never discourage anyone from having a baby.  Both my pregnancys were difficult due to all day "morning sickness."  It was hard to stay hydrated.  My BP was low throughout.  Some fainting episodes, but it was definately worth it.  My boys are wonderful.  I remember having alot of tachycardia after I think aggravated due to lack of sleep. I was medication free throughout.  Plus looking back I wasn't drinking enough fluids.  If you have a supportive husband and family I say go for it.  My kids have kept me going sometimes when I would of just given up.  They give us strength of spirit.

Dawn

Thanks Dawn,

My doctors weren't very helpful with this infact they did not want me off of my medicine but I know that I have to start trying soon. Thank you for responding to me. It is nice to talkt to people that have been through it. I will keep in mind that I need to keep my fluids up. How wonderful, 2 beautiful children.

Christine

christine, I recently had a baby and I stayed on florinef the whole time. My cardio said that he thought that there were too many risks to me going off of it due to my past experiances. So far she is a normal, happy, healthy baby and I wouldn't trade her for anything. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Good luck with whatever you decide. Keep us posted.

christine, I recently had a baby and I stayed on florinef the whole time.  My cardio said that he thought that there were too many risks to me going off of it due to my past experiances.  So far she is a normal, happy, healthy baby and I wouldn't trade her for anything.  Feel free to email me if you have any questions.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  Keep us posted.

Thanks Aprilmarie,

My doctor from the Cleveland Clinic told me that they would like to try a drup free pregnancy but if I had problems that they would put me back on the medicine. My gyno told me that is was ok to continue taking my meds. I have be told 2 different things. I am doing ok, I have recently quit my job as a special education teacher. I know that I couldn't be off of my meds while working a full day. My job was also very physical. At times I had to restrain children who were my size or bigger. I was told that I have a 50% chance of feeling better while pregnant so I guess I am hoping that will happen. If not, I know I will have to go back on my meds. Thanks for responding, it is nice to hear from people who have been through this.

Christine

Christine,

Definitely check out the links that Katherine gave above- it will be very helpful to read some past posts on this topic. I am so glad that women are able to seek more information these days on POTS and pregnancy- when I had my first son I knew nothing about what to expect (and it was only 2 years ago!!). With my first pregnancy I was newly diagnosed, and my doctors left me on a beta blocker and Florinef through the whole pregnancy as a precaution. He was born super duper healthy and still is to this day- and very normal & happy. I am currently due in June with baby #2 and this time I did try to go completely off meds, but the fatigue and tachycardia coupled with all day morning sickness was also too much for my body- I ended up going back on the beta blocker and have done much better since then (and after the first trimester, the nausea eased up a lot). All in all, I do feel much better when I am pregnant in terms of having energy, and mainly being able to stand on my feet for long periods of time without feeling lightheaded, etc...which is a wonderful break :P

It is worth every hardship to have a child- I truly beleive that they add light to our situations and make each day worth getting up for. I wish you the best in your endeavors, please keep us posted!!!

For the last 3 months I have been reducing all my chronic medication to start my family a.s.a.p. I don?t know why my doctors are so strict in South Africa compared to all your doctors. I am not aloud to be on any of my medication. This has been one **** of a road and I agree with you leaving your job through all of this. I don?t know how I am working and doing this at the moment. Thank goodness for Cera Lyte 50 that helps on very bad days. Good luck and remember you?re not alone. Leaving your medication is going to be hard. But my wonderful Cardiologist just keeps telling me it is going to be worth it in the end. I can?t wait to hold my baby in my arms. I am praying for twins to get this over and done with. I think Mario would just die but I am next in line for twins in my family. So lets hope, because I don?t know how long I can live like this. :P

For the last 3 months I have been reducing all my chronic medication to start my family a.s.a.p. I don?t know why my doctors are so strict in South Africa compared to all your doctors. I am not aloud to be on any of my medication. This has been one **** of a road and I agree with you leaving your job through all of this. I don?t know how I am working and doing this at the moment. Thank goodness for Cera Lyte 50 that helps on very bad days. Good luck and remember you?re not alone. Leaving your medication is going to be hard. But my wonderful Cardiologist just keeps telling me it is going to be worth it in the end. I can?t wait to hold my baby in my arms. I am praying for twins to get this over and done with. I think Mario would just die but I am next in line for twins in my family. So lets hope, because I don?t know how long I can live like this. :)

Thanks Ling, I feel the same way and I want twins also. It doesn't run in my family but I thought it would be nice to get it over with. My doctor at the Cleveland Clinic wanted me to try a drug free pregnancy and now I am completely off of my medication. I told myself that I have to try this first and if it doesn't work then I know that I can go back on the meds. Good luck and hang in there, you are right it will be worth it in the end.

Christine