Girls Dating

gertie

We didn't let any of our kids start dating until 16 and/or a junior in high school and then we still encouraged going in groups rather than individual dates. I don't think we're average though. I think a lot of kids are "dating" much earlier. Personally I always told my kids that the purpose of dating was to find a life partner and there is absolutely no need to be looking for a life partner even at 16 so why rush it. My daughter would come home from middle school talking about all her friends who were trying to "catch boys". Once, I asked her what they were going to do when they caught them? She thought about it and then decided maybe it wasn't so cool.

I didn't really date when I was a teenager, but I grew up with 4 sisters so there was a lot of dating going on. My parents rule was no dates that required getting in a car with a boy alone until we were able to also drive, so basically 16. They basically said, if something happens you need to be able to drive yourself home. Most of the "dating" that happened before then wasn't exactly dating. It was more talking on the phone, school dances, and being able to say "I have a boyfriend".

I'm fifteen, not allowed date until I'm 16. I think 15 or 16 is probably the average age.