SUCCESS SUCCESS SUCCESS !!!

avais1

Hi all!

Since I share so many of my gripes with you all, how about a success story for a change of pace? We took our trip last week. We went to Ely, MN for a long weekend (4 days). Let me paint the scene:

1) Ely is very remote, and has only a tiny hospital (SOL in case of POTS, basically)

2) We were staying 15 minutes south of Ely

3) We were staying in a remote cabin

4) Our car got stuck in the snow, so we had to park it UPHILL ABOUT 2 BLOCKS AWAY!!

So, there I was, in the middle of nowhere, with no real medical help available in case of POTS, I HAD to walk a 2 block steep uphill climb that was covered in 2 feet of snow, just to get to the **** car, whine whine :P . Needless to say, this all put me on edge. I snapped at my fiance, and told him I hoped he was prepared to carry me to and from the car if my POTS kicked in.

Now for the kicker: ;) I sat in the cabin, and thought to myself, "You can either sit here and worry yourself into a POTS/PANIC hole, or you can get out and enjoy the scenery". I decided if the attacks come - so be it...I will not live my life contantly being afraid of "What If..."

I grabbed my stuff, and I went SNOWSHOEING!!! :D I MADE IT A MILE!!! :D My heart was pounding, but in a good way. I had made it to the point that I didn't care if it did. I was going to have SOME FUN!! The next day, I did it again AND BY MYSELF!! Granted, I didn't go as far as the day before, I was still tired and my fiance wasn't with me. But, nevertheless, I DID IT!!!! B)

I had only one POTS attack on the first night, but I kept my head together, and it was over in 30 minutes. I was getting ready to reach for the Xanax, but then it stopped. I guess just knowing that I had the Xanax there, just in case, really helped me. I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO TAKE ONE!! :lol:

For one weekend, I got to remember what it was like to be a "normal" person. It was a gift, I thank God for it. Keep the faith, all of you. You may think you may not ever feel "normal" again, like I did. Any maybe you won't, by our "old" definition of ourselves. I used to be able to snowshoe for miles. But I'll take this victory - and that is exactly what it is. Yes, my body can't do what it used to do, but it is still a good body in its own way.

The fact that we are all still here, still going, still fighting on, in spite of the odds against us - that is a true victory of the human spirit. And that, my friends, can NEVER be taken from us; not by person, place, experience, or even Dysautonomia. Bless you!

Good for you! I think the very cold temperatures are less bothersome than the very hot ones. I find that I have been able to shovel a little snow on occasion but can't rake leaves on a nice day in autumn--go figure. Just being able to do something you previously enjoyed before POTS is so reassuring. Martha

Guest tearose

What a wonderful time you had avais! Thank you for sharing the whole story. I felt like I was there watching the story unfold! From the stuck car, the frustration to the decision to pick up and move on...you are a survivor! Your fiance sounds like a good friend too! If he and you can get through all this you'll have a strong marriage!

I am very happy for you!

best regards, tearose

Yippee!!! What a thrill that must have been for you to feel that way again. I know how excited I was when I could finally clean my own house again - nothing near as fun as what you experienced. Any time we can see or feel something positive, it's definitely worth sharing. Thanks for letting us in on your success!

Guest Mary from OH

How wonderful for you!! Now, the key will be when you get into a potshole to jog up that memory and visualize it!!

I'm so glad you were able to have such a wonderful time!!

:)

Guest GayleP

I'm glad you had such a postive experience. You give me enccouragement that I can handle a family reunion in California in May. I like your attitude of just taking a risk and trying to enjoy yourself without worrying. I'm going to try to do the same on my trip. Thanks for sharing.