Service Dogs

So I have heard of several people who use a service dog for dysautonomia but was down right to see it on Wold News with Diane Sawyer.

I wasn't able to post the link, it just went straight to the main website. If you want to watch it I can FB message it to you, its the only way I have been able to share it. :(

This is something I have considered but the wait is long and I have a child with a dog allergy so I need a poodle or poodle mix. We have a 2 year old goldendoodle but she is no service dog :)

Edited by corina

I have trained both of my Bullmastiffs to be service dogs. If you look up the federal guidelines you need a script from any doctor stating you need the service dog. The script does not say why because that is in violation of your rights. My neuro wrote a script for both my dogs. You can train them yourself and get the vest on line for your dog. They need to be well trained and not a bother where you go. I have never been stopped and asked to see my script even with the use of both large dogs.

Maggie

I have a 9 pounder who detects my glucose levels being too low. She trained herself and has gotten so good over the past year that my Vet certified her.

Laws very state to state and here we don't need a Doc to sign off, it's either a vet or a Doc. But I'm also on Disability so for the Americans with Disability Act I don't need to be certified myself to have one.

I don't abuse the privilege at all though. Except for sleeping I deal with my glucose pretty well, it's just sleep time that I really need her. I wouldn't take her to say a Zoo, she's too easy to think of as "Prey". LOL

I'll have to watch that video you posted sounds interesting.

Wow. I wonder if I could train a dog to detect low cortisol levels in me, for my Addison's. Sometimes, I don't "get it" until it's too late, and I've let myself deteriorate into a full blown adrenal melt down.

Not to sound stupid, but I think I've heard that some service dogs can even be trained to call 911 if necessary? That would be great if I'm in a crisis, home alone and can't get to a phone.

Good ideas here. Thanks for posting this.

Lindajoy

I have a few books on training your own service dog. I have a 2 year old goldendoodle but she is companion all the way. I think for the kind of training that I would want done I will go trough an agency just because I admittedly am not that good. I have trained my puppy to CGC standards but to be honest she is still way to over excited in public. Maggie its awesome that you have 2 gentle giants watching out for you! Charmed, love that you have a 'pocket alert'!

Linda, you might want to check out this site, http://k94life.org/about/history/. Its the one featured in the report.

LindaJoy-- I'm pretty sure actually that my little dog does know when my Cortisol is having troubles. She doesn't react the same exact way as she does for glucose but she becomes very clingy and annoying and won't leave me alone. This is during episodes where I'm loopy and disoriented and have back pain and I'm usually so cranky that I want her out of my space. This is usually when my BP and HR are really doing crazy things and the nausea is the worst.

So I think she does know. Wish there was a home Cortisol test like blood sugar so I could check and see if she for sure does know.

As for her size, I'm lucky she's that small because her cue for low blood sugar to wake me up is that she stats by sitting on my chest and when that doesn't work she literally lays down on my face......so I can't breath and I wake up.

Not the ideal cue from a service dog, but she chose it. She was never trained just started clueing into me, we are very bonded. Took her awhile to get really good an consistent, and me awhile to realize what she was doing.

Wow! This is so cool. I have four dogs, and they can tell when I'm having a bad POTS day- I'm not sure about my levels of stuff- maybe that's what they sense.

CarrieJessica I don't breed my dogs, but I do extensive research to find the dog that I would believe work well for me. My pots restricks me from doing training of others, but I have trained my daughter who also has a bullmastiff and hers is trained as well. She trains dogs perfessionally and does a good job. Mine do not detect any sort of blood disorder, they are trained to stay right by my side if I happen to faint. It hasn't happen often, but I live in a rural area and when I walk if I fainted on the street, a person driving might not see me lying on the road, but with those two dogs standing over me, no one will miss me! They really keep me company on long days when I'm not feeling well. I am trying to start a business with my daughter using our mastiffs to protect children who are being bullied at school. I can't believe how long it takes to get it all in place.

Maggie

Edited by corina