Squat Presses.

jangle

Jangle,

I was talking to my hubby about what you are trying with HIIT. He has been into weight lifting for a lonnnngggg time and knows a lot about the body and how it works in regards to exercise. (He also, does HIIT and has before it ever became a popular way to exercise.) He said that the high intensity training first works on the nervous system, then the connective tissue and then finally the muscles. The intense burst - shocks the nervous system and the little nerves in the tissues to go ----oh my what's going on, and sort of wakes things up and at first triggers them to activate. He said with time and varying your routines you can probably get the nervous system to settle down - as it reacts quickly - but, it also adapts quickly. He said you would find, with time, it hard to challege that system and that's where varying your rountine - either with more reps or higher weight or a different exercise entirely. He also suggested doing spurts of exercise. Like walking fast for 3 min. and then running all out for 3 min. He said - no jogging - running. I'm like. . . .keep in mind this guy has POTS - will this really help him. He thinks it probably will - but, pay attention to your body and how you are reacting. Let us know how it goes for you.

I was asking how could a person with EDS do this. He said, we can't use our full range of motion. We want to get the strength - but, not lenghten the muscle. We need more bulk to hold us together. With me, I can dislocate things so easily. But, I have in the past lifted weights and really enjoyed it - until I tore a muscle in my outside bicep and wrecked my knee with high step ups. I was younger then - I'd do things a lot differently now. But, I hope SOMEDAY, to be able to get back to some of this. I'm still working on increasing my eliptical and staying standing longer. So, hopefully, one day - we can compare notes on this one.

Issie

Hey Jangle, keep on exercising, sounds like you're doing really well! Aside from the lightheadedness of course. I was at a dr appt. yesterday and she was explaining how our bodies (dys patients) just can't compensate for movement, be that standing up, lying back down, jumping, SQUATS maybe, She said there is just something within us that isn't working correctly.

I've tried squats, not consistently, but each time i do them, I get lightheaded as well and in addition, my heart feels like its going to explode! My legs feel good though :) Also, when i turn my head certain ways (movement), bend over, lean, etc etc. i also get lightheaded. I've had multiple people try to tell me that the movement causing lightheaded is because of vestibular issues which maybe for some people that is correct and although my VNG came back abnormal, I'm pretty sure vestibular issues do not involve the heart and the fact that I feel lightheaded at the same time my heart feels like it may burst, those two things are correlated.