Squat Presses.

jangle

Has anyone tried squats? I did it today and obviously became very lightheaded during/after the trial.

But this type of weight lifting seems to target the relevant muscles to standing since essentially it's just putting weight on the standing motion.

Anyways just wondering if anyone has had success with this, I'm going to incorporate squats 3 times a week.

You can do these supine/inverted. If you go to the back of the gym where the "big muscle" plays, there should be a squat rack (sometimes called a hack squat rack): you "lay" in the chair and push up against the weights. This is much easier than an upright squat, just don't hold your breath or you'll have serious BP fluctuations between movements. Get a spotter too, once you take the "stop" out, the weight has only your legs to support it, it could come down and crush you if the weight is too heavy. Enjoy!

Edited by firewatcher

Watch your form and don't hurt your back. If this is all new to you - ask someone to show you proper form. You can do it in a Smith machine and put a bench between your legs if you don't want to go all the way down. This isn't going to work quite as much but, it will help you to learn the form and movements until you can do it on your own. And give you a place to sit - if you lose your balance and you have a safety bar in place so you can rack it if you lose it. And like firewatcher said a whole lot depends on your breathing - when to inhale and when to exhale. Let us know how you do.

Issie

I love squating as it made my legs much stronger! I started off without the weights as it turned out i couldn't carry them, which was lots of fun as I squated and couldn't get back up again :lol: I later found out that I couldn't have that weight thing in my neck so I was told i could use weights in my hands which was much easier on me.

Like Issie mentioned I had a bench to help me not go down too much, I had it behind my back though.

Good luck on trying Jangle!

i alweays get dizzing doing chin ups for some reason. Havent notice a problem with squating presses.

For some reason - anything, I do using my arms makes my POTS a whole lot worse. Be it swimming or blow drying my hair. Maybe, because we get them above our heart??????

Issie

I know this is slightly off topic but today at the gym I was feeling good after 30 minutes of Cardio. I then started a light high rep upper body workout. When I got to shoulder press I started getting dizzy. Not sure if its due to my arms are over my head for so long or what.

In the "Changes" video posted at the top of the forum, Dr. Thompson mentioned the reason why we have trouble raising our arms above our heads, something about it putting pressure on the arteries or veins that supply our heads. I forget exactly what he said, but I remember thinking, 'oh, that makes sense.'

I tried some squats and lunges today at home without weights and they both made me very lightheaded.

Before I found my combo of working meds I couldn't use my arms either. I couldn't wheel myself in my wheelchair, couldn't swim with both my arms and legs, couldn't do any exercizes where my arms were involved and had adjustments made at our home (removed all the high kitchen cupboards, got a dishwasher etc.). I now so enjoy my regained activities (though I lately found out that by far they cannot be compared to what healthy people can do. But who cares, I'm enjoying!!!)

It is great Issie, though my combo might not work for you as I'm a low flow Potsie. Hope you'll find a good combo too!

I'm either normal flow or low flow - not exactly sure which (sometimes seem like both). I lean more towards low-flow with the definitions given for that. (Wish I could have a definitive test.) Are the two meds listed on your signature the only things you are on? What made you choose to try those things?

Issie

Arms over the head is definitely not a good thing! I can't tell you how many times I've passed out from standing up to go to bed and stretching because my back hurt and then next thing I know I'm on the floor. I also get dizzy trying to do my hair issie. It's definitely frustrating.

I'm looking forward to getting on an exercise routine that works for me. I miss doing intense exercise!

Good luck with the squats! I hope they help you out!

Issie,

Octreotide was suggested to me by Persephone (DINET member and one of my so called Potspals) and after doing lots of reading on it I convinced my neuro to try it (which took about 6 months). At that time I was on a combo of meds to keep me as well as possible (in chair/bed not able to do much but water the plants now and then).

I started Octreotide while on all my other meds and when it worked I slowly got rid of the combo (bb, mestinon, ritalin, stomach med and ssri). I then found out that I couldn't loose the SSRI as it turned out it keeps my standing hr down. I went from 11 pills daily to 1 pill and a 3 weekly injection. Pretty good don't you think?

Issie, I'm low flow (volume wasn't officially measured but was found low in pressure during heart cath). Bp is pretty stabile now (about 105/70's). It goes up a few points on standing as it should, along with hr (just a few beats). As I'm on the Octreotide LAR it can vary a bit. For me the Octr. weans off in 3 weeks.

No I'm sorry I've been SO brain fogged over the last few days. What I meant was that it works for 3 weaks where the article on it says it should work for about 4 to 6 weeks.Most people I know (not THAT many) have 4 week cycles. I might need a higher dose, not sure at this moment. I hardly dare ask for that because of the costs. I do know that I'm in trouble when not getting the injections exactly every 3 weeks.

Haven't heard back from health ins yet about the costs, keeping my fingers crossed!

• 3 months later...

So I squated (bar on shoulders, go down and stand back up) 255 pounds or 115 kg a few times. By the third repetition I could feel my heart exploding in my chest and got really lightheaded. Afterwards feel better than when I went into the gym. My muscles aren't fatigued, but I have to stop due to lightheadedness - it seems to be working my cardiovascular system directly. Also incorporating HIIT cardio training to increase blood volume/cardio health.

More squat weight!!!

For some reason (probably brain fog :rolleyes: ), it seems to me that HIIT would be counter-intuitive for POTS situations. It seems like those short intense intervals would trigger the fight/flight response and pump more catecholemines into the system and create more of an issue for us. It seems from reading other posts that it's been helpful for some people on here however. Can someone explain the theory as to why please?