Perfume Recommendations

Monstrosity

I need to buy my better half some new perfume. She uses some cheap Bath and Bodyworks spray that sets my system off... I read that something more lavender scented is the way to go. Smells are a major trigger for me so I figure I need to buy her some new stuff prior to throwing it out. I dont care about the cost I just need to be able to tolerate it.

I don't do well with any perfume, unless it is citrus or spicy, but to be honest, I mostly use citrus body lotions instead of perfumes. I've wasted money buying them. My husband has no sense of smell, anyway, so it is only for myself or friends that I smell nice...nothing overbearing!!

I have issues with purfumes too - but, I'm a floral girl and love plumeria - a flower from Hawaii. I get a purfume when I go there and it can be ordered on-line. There are actually two companies I can use their stuff. One is from Forever Florals and I have the cologne spray and purfume. The other company I use if called Island Soap and Candle Works - they have a purfume - but were out when I was there last - but, I have the Body lotion and Body and Bath oil in the Plumeria Blossom - they also have wonderful smelling soaps that are a coconut base with all different scents - I got about 6 different ones - not sure which scent I like the best in the soaps. For shampoo and conditioner - I use a different Hawaiian company called Luxus International - Personal Paradise and of course my favorite scent is plumeria. But, I also like Pikake Passion in those products. (These hair products are a little too strong smelling though and I cut them down by just adding a little to some other shampoos and conditioners to just get the smell into them. It makes a bottle last forever - but, I smell like plumeria from head to toe. LOL :)) I love it! But, there's no guarantee - you will love it. My husband loves it - but, it takes us to a place we've been before and the air smells like this every where and it is a wonderful feeling that the smell gives us. Ummmmm - I just sprayed it on - since I had to go get it to write down what they were. HEAVENLY!!!!

She's gonna love you for thinking about her! First you need to know if she likes florals or spicey scents. That will determine what you get. Some like more citrus scents too. Perfume is pretty individual. But, I'm betting if you like it and you think you know what she likes - she's going to love it. What scent is she using right now?

Issie

I have issues with purfumes too - but, I'm a floral girl and love plumeria - a flower from Hawaii. I get a purfume when I go there and it can be ordered on-line. There are actually two companies I can use their stuff. One is from Forever Florals and I have the cologne spray and purfume. The other company I use if called Island Soap and Candle Works - they have a purfume - but were out when I was there last - but, I have the Body lotion and Body and Bath oil in the Plumeria Blossom - they also have wonderful smelling soaps that are a coconut base with all different scents - I got about 6 different ones - not sure which scent I like the best in the soaps. For shampoo and conditioner - I use a different Hawaiian company called Luxus International - Personal Paradise and of course my favorite scent is plumeria. But, I also like Pikake Passion in those products. (These hair products are a little too strong smelling though and I cut them down by just adding a little to some other shampoos and conditioners to just get the smell into them. It makes a bottle last forever - but, I smell like plumeria from head to toe. LOL :)) I love it! But, there's no guarantee - you will love it. My husband loves it - but, it takes us to a place we've been before and the air smells like this every where and it is a wonderful feeling that the smell gives us. Ummmmm - I just sprayed it on - since I had to go get it to write down what they were. HEAVENLY!!!!

She's gonna love you for thinking about her! First you need to know if she likes florals or spicey scents. That will determine what you get. Some like more citrus scents too. Perfume is pretty individual. But, I'm betting if you like it and you think you know what she likes - she's going to love it. What scent is she using right now?

Issie

send me a link please!

Here's the links:

http://www.luxushawa...ria-petals.html

That one is the shampoo and conditioner - but, it's pretty strong - so may need to put some into other shampoo. I like the plumeria petals or the pikake passion of this one.

http://www.islandsoap.com

This is the plumeria soaps and body lotion and body oil - I think of all of them I like the body oil the best and it's almost strong enough to just use as a perfume too. It doesn't appear they have the purfume available right now. They sell out of it as soon as it comes in stock. They have other lovely smelling soaps too. I got about 5 other fragrances of soap and like them - but, they don't really suds because they are coconut oil based. I also have some of their candles.

http://www.foreverflorals.com/

This is the purfume and cologne I have right now. The cologne is lighter smelling and may be the best to start with to see if it bothers you or not. Purfumes linger longer and cost more - but, the cologne sprays and is a lighter over all effect.

Most of these also have citrus and fruit smells too - so take a look at all of what's available. Order a smaller size to start with - not knowing if you or she will like it and at least you won't be out too much if you don't like it or it bothers you. Hope all goes well with this gift. It's a hard one to buy for someone else.

Issie

I had an even better idea..........just take her to Hawaii and let her pick her own out. Yayyyyy - a trip to Hawaii. I've been to three of the islands and like the Big Island the best- can give you some names of places to stay on any of them and what to do and for how long etc. If that's in your plans. If I can do it . . . . .you can do it. You just have to pace yourself.

Issie

Well, it's too far to swim!!!!! LOL :) So, take up piloting - you don't pass out and could learn. But, guess what - they still wouldn't let you fly to Hawaii - it has to be a commercial flight - hours over the water. Be a good honeymoon spot. My favorite place of all the places I've been and I've been all over. Love the Big Island!!!! If you're going to be a world traveler - you got to fly. Of course, it is a pain - but - once you get there. Ahhhhh, chill factor - awaits.

Issie

I really like Prince Matchabelli body sprays because they are really light and not overpowering. There are a lot of different flavors but my favorite is cotton candy. It smells soooo good. They are super cheap though... I think target sells them for $6.

any perfume with vanilla is usually good......not sure if you have The Body Shop where you live but you can create your own perfume at their store and you can put in as much or as little scent oil as you want. They have everything from strawberry, satsuma, ocean scents to vanilla....its great :)

Bren

Two suggestions: one is to go into a Sephora store and have them help you--they should know the bases for the perfumes and allow you to give them a sniff to see if they're even a smell you'd like to smell again ;)

Second, consider just getting some essential oils from the health food store--they should have lavender oil, which is really lovely. I sometimes mix it in unscented body oil (sesame base or almond base). I've also purchased essential oils online from vitacost as well as from puritainspride and have had good experiences with both (I tend to shop online b/c shopping in a store is not a fun activity for me).

Nina

Nina,

That's a real good suggestion - Montie - they have a whole lot of different products at Sephora and you could probably smell a whole lot of different scents in there. Then you would know what you like. But, since scent bothers you - you might go a little haywire in there too -the lights get me in there.

My hubby hates lavender - funny - it's supposed to be calming. He's pretty picky about scent. He doesn't like anything that smells like soap or citrus - nothing spicey either. So, I guess it's good we both like my floral scent. LOL :) He wears a musk - and I like that on him - but, not for myself. Like I said earlier - scent is pretty personal and a hard gift to buy.

Issie

I appreciate all the replys! I've narrowed it down to two different scents. Clinique happy or Elizabeth Arden Green Tea. I'm having a hard time picking between the two. At the same time Melanie has taken the hint and stopped using the stuff I cant stand. Her birthday is May 21 so I think this will be part of her gift. I already ordered her a new pair of sunglasses. Last year she went through 3 pairs of expensive sunglasses (kept buying the same ones and things kept happening to them).

Get them both and then she can use whatever the mood they create for her. Our sense of smell - will take us into different places. If you like them both - go for it.

So, is it a totally different type of sunglasses? Maybe, get her a really pretty crystal bead glasses holder. They make them with rings at the bottom and they look like a necklace. When you take off your glasses you slide one arm of the glasses through the ring to hold them around your neck. Then you aren't laying them down somewhere and forgetting them. I love mine. Of course, I make jewlry - - so, not sure how much something like that would cost - retail. Mine is clear crystal with Sterling Silver beads and it goes with everything. They tend to be longer - so it depends on whether or not she likes longer necklaces or not.

Issie

I ordered Abby and Chelsea. I figure I'll give one pair to Melanie and one pair to my mom for Mothers day. Lacey is what Melanie kept loosing. The first pair got lost. The next pair were thrown from her face while tubing, and the last pair was lost in the Ocean! I told her over and over again you never turn your back on the ocean!

http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductListing.aspx?ActivityCode=OUTDOORS&SeriesCode=558