I'm Going Off Adderall, Going With No Meds, Going Natural

Alaska

I have tried a variety of medications and have found that I respond best to Adderall extended release (a stimulant medication). It helps with my ADD, but as I later found it helps increase blood pressure. It's been over a year being on it and it seems to be helping less and less and I still feel bad and have hypotension. At times I think it actually spins up my dizziness. I guess I wonder if this medication is helping me recover or keeping me from recovering. This medication is like drinking sips of coffee all day long. Who knows what that is doing to my adrenal glands and wouldn't be helping if my adrenal glads are contributing to my symptoms. The nice thing about this medication is you can stop and start when you want. I didn't take it today and feel run down. So, if I stop this medication I will not be on anything. And to be honest, I'm not sure that medications are even the answer for what is going on with me.

So, this week I'm going to try to go off it and be on nothing. I have already gotten myself to run or yoga 30-40 minutes daily. I think I'm going to increase this by getting up in the morning and run for 15-20 minutes (although I got up this morning a really came close to crying as I was so tired and REALLY didn't want to do it). In addition to this I plan on eating as well as I can and as natural as I can, avoiding gluten and simple sugars as much as possible and staying away from artificial flavors or colors. I will make regular smoothies packed with greens that could make me yak. I plan to still salt load. I hope to push myself physically, but balancing that with resting, relaxing and sleep (or napping when possible). I am going to work on listening to my body more and relax or stop when I need. Time to run... literally.

Alaska,

It sounds like you have a well thought out plan! I currently don't take any meds, either (partly because I'm too chicken to try them) and am trying to do all of those healthy things you mentioned. I've been curious about trying the gluten free diet, but haven't made the leap yet. I've recently had some relatives test positive for celiac.

I hope you have lots of success with your new plan and a minimal amount of 'yak-ing' from your green smoothies! Sounds like you are already doing really well with the 30-40 minutes of yoga/run. I may be overly cautious, but do you think maybe it would be better to see how your body reacts to coming off the med before you add a morning run (especially since you mentioned that you really had to push yourself hard to do it)? We are all different so your body may adapt to that with no problem at all, I'm just thinking in terms of not wanting to set yourself back by doing too much at once.

Keep up that positive energy and keep us posted on how things are working out for you.

Sounds great to me. I eliminated klonopin but it took me 4 months. It's addictive tho.

I think you're right about the adderal and adrenals. We don't talk much about adrenals here but I wouldn't be surprised if they're playing a large role in dysautonomia for some of us. I have adrenal fatigue diagnosed via a saliva test so I know mine are stressed. Coming off all caffeine made a huge difference in how calm I feel. And I didn't even know I was so hyped up.

I add bananas and salt to my green smoothies to prevent yakking. Lol

Just a wee bit of caution if you don't mind .. It's never a good idea to make too many changes at once even if they're all healthy. Our bodies become accustomed to running off the chemicals that are available and go into shock when these are eliminated. Gluten withdrawals are one example.

Oh and from what I've read people with adrenal problems typically can't get moving in the mornings

without suffering a backlash. I've tried several times to overcome this but end up crashed for 2 - 3 hours.

Good luck .. D

I never thought of Adderall as having possible effects on our adrenals... What symptoms do you notice? I take Addreall and have for about 9 months. It is one of the few (taken in combo with an SSRI) medications- along with Midodrine (off and on- I always take it but we seem to have a love/hate thing going-.sometimes it works greats- although other times nitvatvalk). I have lots of syncope and multiple concussions and I think it helps so much (Adderall) with my concentration and focusing, I get no SIDE effects either, not even energy. No loss of appetite, jittery, insomnia, guess I'm lucky.

Yet I do have adrenal issues and would not want to worsen that... Any info would be great!!!