Gatorade And Electrolyte Drinks

Electrolytes  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gatorade all the way!!! I drink 2-4 24oz a day along with as much water as possible! I do like the purple Powerade as well. Gatorade has more salt in it than Powerade by the way.

As far as whats made it worse, Raman Noodles! Granted I vomited a few months back after eating them.

Love my Gatorade-G Series. I drink about 50% ( 2-3 liters) Gatorade all day along with water, coffee, tea, diet pop, oj, etc...I hydrate like crazy even during the night because my blood pressure is so low at night. It does make a difference. The only thing I don't like is the frequent bathroom trips. lol :D

I don't use table salt, I use a good, quality sea salt. I think there are more minerals and less fillers or anti-caking agents.

I don't drink any of the sports drinks.

I will drink purified water with extra minerals, salt, Lo-salt or No-Salt, Emergen-C packets.

Dr. Cheney, an ME/CFIDS researcher, came up with a way to make these electrolyte drinks at home. Google "gookinaid"

http://www.dfwcfids.org/healing/gokhmbrw.htm

Marti

Don't know why, but before POTS hit, drinking gatorade or powerade both made me really tired and "loopy" afterwards. It wasn't the sugar, because at that time a cola would not affect me that way. I had no clue. So, I don't drink them at all. Now with my worsened low blood sugars, I stay away from any drinks with sugar in them, except milk, as I need the calcium (don't tolerate supplements).

Gatorade saved my life....

from age 16-17 i was stuck in bed. it wasnt untill a doctor did a tilt table test on me, and then after the tilt table test he said " i want you to drink gatorade untill your urin is clear, and keep your urin clear" that i started feeling better. from age 17-20 i was dependent on gatorade, now i barly need it , i do need it durring the summer and i do need to drink water often but my body regained its balance and now i have reduced symptoms.

i had tilt table tests, and blood volume tests to determin my low blood volume. and my electrolyte deficiency

i do notice. as stated above, that now if i drink to much gatorade i also feel loopy and tired and odd... so its just picking a nice balance between gatorade and water. we have to ask our bodies what they need and be aware of how we feel.

This was an interesting poll that I was looking forward to reading the responses. I have heard that gatorade can help POTS patients but am unsure as to why and how much they could help? I have drank some, but not enough to notice any benefits to them. Anyone have any sources on the benefits of drinking gatorade for POTS patients?

Even before I got POTS i used to find that if I was tired gatorade would make me feel better. Never knew why and being well i didnt really care actually LOL

I once ate i think it was five or six salt tabs and it made me quite anxious and worse pots wise. Doc told me all that salt in your stomach can actually suck out water from your stomach rather than the opposite and that the best way to get salt is in drinks and with food so its not as bad on the stomach.

Having thermotabs and salt tabs in the same option box for voting, I'm not sure what to check. Thermotabs have helped me, salt tabs made me worse. I think it may have been because the salt tabs were 1 gram of sodium chloride whereas the thermotabs are 180 mg and also have potassium and chloride. Since you don't get such a huge dose all at once and it seems to be a little bettered balanced to have all those electrolytes rather than just huge quantities of sodium all at once, maybe that's why I found them to be more helpful.

• 5 months later...

In addition to "sports drinks" providing salt and thus being beneficial, I believe that another reason why they help many POTS sufferers is due to the vitamin B-12 that they have. Research seems to show a connection between B-12 deficiency and POTS, so it makes sense to me that it would be a part of the benefit provided by Gatorade and Powerade. I haven't seen any websites or papers explicitly state so, just to be clear; it's just a theory of mine.

• 4 years later...

Gatorade makes for a great sports drink owing to the fact that it majorly replenishes your body with sodium, most of which is lost in sweat. It helps with endurance too. As per one of the studies, Gatorade helps cyclists with keeping their leg strength intact for longer durations. As for how it stands against water, it is generally recommended that for natural thirst and people who are not in sports should drink water. A thing to note for those who are into sports is that Gatorade has its share of disadvantages as it has added sugar and some harmful coloring agents added to it.

My source for this and to know more on this: http://www.foods4betterhealth.com/is-gatorade-good-for-you-sports-drinks-stand-against-water-30553