My Story, Sound Familiar To Anyone Else?

Linj10

I was diagnosed with asthma at the age of 1. I've had severe asthma since then and I am now 23.

My sophmore year of highschool I was very active. Sang, danced, was on colorguard. I was in my history class, the symptoms began with suddenly getting hot but having chills, dizzy, feeling like the room was spinning, shaky, and i got up to ask to go to the bathroom and passed out hitting my head. I was tested for low blood sugar, and all sorts of other things. All which came back normal, and i was told just to make sure i was eating normally.

Fast forward to college and i had the same spell my freshmen year, but avoided passing out and then again last year. I was again tested for low blood sugars and whatnot, nothing. I started to get headaches. It felt like my brain was pulsing. They became a daily occurence and resulted in me having to take an afternoon nap EVERY day. I became so fatigued that my mom worried I had caught mono and had me tested for that too, all was normal. My anxiety was through the roof, i worried about EVERYTHING, panicked about everything, and obsessed over getting things planned. I feared the absolute worst outcome in everything and always had a sense of doom. I began to start waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air and feeling like my heart had stopped.

This time last year I started having chest pains. The first time I honestly thought I was having a heart attack. It felt like a knife through the front of my chest, through my ribcage and shoved into my left shoulder blade. The pain was so sharp that it took my breathe away. I ignored them while I could, even chalked it up to heartburn or indegestion. I finally went to the doctor for a cold and mentioned this to him. He did and EKG and an echo and still nothing alarming. He tested my b12 and found I had a defieciency which was causing me to be anemic. That made sense, I bruise very easily. He prescribed injections which i give myself once a week. This stopped the tired feeling, headaches, and even the chest pains.

Last summer I was at the beach with my fiance and his family and i was putting our laundry in the washer when I caught another chest pain that brought me to the floor in pain. This happened a few other times. On my annual appt with my gynocologist I had one of these pains with her. She immediately listened to my heart and heard an unnormal sound, sent me for an echo, and referred me to a cardiologist which specializes in mitral valve prolapse and dysautonomia.

I was diagnosed with both of those. I was put on wellbutrin XL and seratline for anxiety, I take a beta blocker, and up to two klonopin a day to keep my chest pains away and my heart under control. This seems to help. I have switched meds around a couple of times because of expense, and weight gain.

with all that medicine, plus the injections I still have rough days. I get to feeling better and try and go without my injection and i get so weak, shaky, and my chest starts to hurt that i have to give in. Is it normal for the b12 deficiency and mvp/d to be linked together?

I'm no sure if this was a from birth thing, but it is important to note I was having several cases of strep throat a year. Up to 6 a year at one point, and finally had my tonsils removed this past thanksgiving.

It stinks being young and not being able to have a drink or glass of wine because my legs go numb instantly, my head starts swimming and my speech becomes rediculous. It isn't fun being attached to a needle and vial of pink liquid for probably the rest of my life.

I am thankful to live in a state, Alabama, that has a center for MVP/D. Any thoughts, comments?

Welcome to this wonderful group :) linj10~

Sorry about all you are going through~ I can relate, I take b12 injections monthly, but was told by a neuro that there is a very good by mouth form that you can take every day ~ I used to take nitro for chest pain, long before anyone knew what was wrong with me ~ Soon after my dx. having (Raynaud's) cold hands and feet / dysregulation of my body temp.I was put on a time released calcium channel blocker that has decreased the chest pain~ :P

They used to think that they might be Esophageal spasms early on ...now many years later it may be mitochondrial disease that was causing them for me.I also was found to have an extra sound a murmur @ 30. No one ever found that before and I had to have my tonsils out as an adult. :wacko:

I wish you the very best of luck and hope you find some relief soon ~ Bellamia ~ :rolleyes:

Hi and welcome...you're explaining all of my symptoms, as well, except for B12 deficiency, but I have taken supplements for years, and knew B vitamins were good for the nervous system, being a nurse and having some medical insight. I also go to the center for MVP/Autonomic disorders here in Alabama in Birmingham. Just diagnosed last year. I live in Huntsville. I am a lot better on medication. :) All my meds are listed below...hope you are feeling better soon!!