Recommendations Please

Hi Guys, it's me again :P

I am fed up with klonopin. I take it at night to help me sleep and relax me and it does quite the opposite. So, I am going to begin trying some natural supplements. Can anyone recommend the best brands of melatonin and theanine out there? And, will I need to give my body some time in between coming off the klonopin before I begin taking the natural supplements?

Thank you!!

Mandy

Oooh, Mandy, I'm sorry the Klonopin wasn't helping. If it was making you excitable as opposed to calming you down, then all your Lexapro jitteryness would ABSOLUTELY be exacerbated...no wonder you felt so horrible. Just go slow off the Klonopin b/c it can be a bit rough, and let your doc know what you experience. I'm curious about the Licorice root too since I am tapering off the Florinef....curious as to what doses people take and what brands they use in case I need a little something after I get off the Florinef. I think Rama has taken it pretty consistently so hopefully he'll reply.

And, I am also interested in magnesium, it's purposes and what's a good brand and dosage. I know this is a lot but I am fed up with prescription meds!!! Please HELP!!! Also, can I take the magnesium with my beta blocker? I've been on the BB for quite sometime now and in the beginning it dropped my blood pressure down to scary levels but it eventually leveled itself out and it's a HUGE help in reducing my tachycardia. So, I'd hate to give it up.

I would be careful just stopping the Klonopin cold-turkey...better to taper down to be safe, even though you've only been on it for 3 weeks. As for sleep, I've had pretty good luck with Calms Forte...which you can find at CVS, Walgreens, etc. Regarding Magnesium....I take Jarrow Magnesium Optimizer, which contains Magnesium Citrate. Not sure how much it helps, but I have MVP and Mg is anecdotally good for heart health and MVP (from what I've read).

Hope that helps...I can certainly sympathize with what you're going through right now. Don't give up...and focus on a few things here and there to see how you react. If you change too many things at once (Lex, K, etc.)...you won't really know cause/effect.

All the best...keep us posted.

Rama, a question about licorice root -- did you / do you find that it has less side effects than Florinef? I'm curious because I'm getting off of Florinef b/c of the side effects, and want a back up just in case my bp tanks (which I don't expect, but I like a Plan B, and C, and D...). What have you found with respect to dosing? I ask because my PCP has no idea about licorice root except that it "acts like florinef", so if I need to I'd like to take a dose range to her. Thanks!!!

Mandy, I heard today from a GP that he takes 3 (I think mg) of Melatonin to sleep, but check with your doc. He's also older, and I know the dosing is so different when it comes to the elderly.

For the melatonin I use the brand nature's bounty. I started with 1 mg and kept increasing it, but I really only noticed a big difference when I got to 5 mg- which is what I think most doctors reccomend anyway.

I used to use melatonin 3mg for years till found that it increased the chances of an autoimmune disease and I already had a high ana ~

I was being worked up for lupus almost every few years also.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/115717-bad-side-effects-melatonin-supplements/

this was interesting info ~

I find calcium works best for me in the middle of the night 600mg +D

licorice root -- do you find that it has less side effects than Florinef?

Yes, much less side effects.

Egyptian Licorice Tea from Yogi. I'm also putting a chamomile tea bag in with it - find it very relaxing. Also, found magnesium citrate to be a big help for sleep and overall emotional health - helps with pain too. (New discoveries to me -----THANKS, Rama.)

Issie