Exercise Training Type And Orthostatic Tolerance

J Appl Physiol. 2012 Mar 15. [Epub ahead of print]

Impact of Chronic Exercise Training on the Blood Pressure Response to Orthostatic Stimulation.

Sugawara J, Komine H, Miyazawa T, Imai T, Fisher JP, Ogoh S.

Source

1National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology.

Abstract

Exercise training elicits morphological adaptations in the left ventricle (LV) and large conduit arteries that are specific to the type of training performed (i.e., endurance vs. resistance exercise). We investigated whether the mode of chronic exercise training, and the associated cardiovascular adaptations, influence the blood pressure responses to orthostatic stimulation in 30 young healthy men (10 sedentary, 10 endurance-trained, and 10 resistance-trained). The endurance-trained group had a significantly larger LV end-diastolic volume normalized by body surface area (vs. sedentary and resistance-trained groups), whereas the resistance-trained group had a significantly higher LV wall thickness and aortic pulse wave velocity (PWV) compared with the endurance-trained group. In response to 60-degree head-up tilt (HUT), mean arterial pressure (MAP) rose in the resistance-trained group (+6.5±1.6 mmHg, P<0.05) but did not change significantly in sedentary and endurance-trained groups. Systolic blood pressure (SBP) decreased in endurance-trained group (-8.3±2.4 mmHg, P<0.05) but did not significantly change in sedentary and resistance-trained groups. A forward stepwise multiple regression analysis revealed that LV wall thickness and aortic PWV were significantly and independently associated with the MAP response to HUT, explaining ~41% of its variability (R(2)=0.414, P<0.001). Likewise, aortic PWV and the corresponding HUT mediated change in stroke volume were significantly and independently associated with the SBP response to HUT, explaining ~52% of its variability (R(2)=0.519, P<0.0001). Furthermore, the change in stroke volume significantly correlated with LV wall thickness (r=0.39, P<0.01). These results indicate that chronic resistance and endurance exercise training differentially affect the BP response to HUT, and that this appears to be associated with training-induced morphological adaptations of the LV and large conduit arteries. PMID: 22422799 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

The endurance-trained group had a significantly larger LV end-diastolic volume normalized by body surface area (vs. sedentary and resistance-trained groups), whereas the resistance-trained group had a significantly higher LV wall thickness and aortic pulse wave velocity (PWV) compared with the endurance-trained group.

My take understanding of this statement is that the endurance trained group moved more blood (LV end-diastolic volume), but the resistance trained group had thicker heart muscle walls, pushing the blood harder through the system. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

In response to 60-degree head-up tilt (HUT), mean arterial pressure (MAP) rose in the resistance-trained group (+6.5±1.6 mmHg, P<0.05) but did not change significantly in sedentary and endurance-trained groups. Systolic blood pressure (SBP) decreased in endurance-trained group (-8.3±2.4 mmHg, P<0.05) but did not significantly change in sedentary and resistance-trained groups.

When tilted, the endurance trained group had a drop in SBP, and the resistance trained group had no change in SBP, but had a rise in arterial pressure.

Furthermore, the change in stroke volume significantly correlated with LV wall thickness

A thicker heart wall meant more muscle to push the blood through the system.

I'd have to read the whole article, but it would appear that exercises like running expand the blood volume and move it through the heart muscle...but leave you prone to fainting when not in motion...and lifters have "stronger" hearts that push the blood harder through the system...

I've always felt better when lifting or doing strength exercises.

i suspect i have had pots for years, and although a major surgery triggered it properly i was often feeling dizzy prior. However at this time i was body building, 5 days weights training every week for an hour and had done this for about 6 years. i highly suspect this what was keeping me upright so to speak! i stopped body building and the dizziness got worse until my surgery and then after pots kicked in proper.

During the few years that I was starting to have symptoms, I was working out doing Jazzercise which is aerobic and strength. But I also had enormous stress at the time and I think that's what took me down. However, after diagnosis I started yoga primarily for my fibro and what an awakening; I had no idea how hard it is. I am sooooo much stronger now, especially in my legs. It has helped the dysautonomia too, which I did not expect. I really think this article explains why I feel better with regards to the exercise type. Thanks for posting this, it was very interesting.

Songcanary, I've also had a ton of benefit with yoga. I learned pretty quickly on that some types of exercise are much better for me than others. Cardio and exercise in the upright position exacerbate my symptoms. I also have had to ease into exercise - building in 5 min increments. I am pretty functional overall, I can work full time and even be on my feet for long periods, but it seems a lot of people with more severe POTS can tolerate cardio much better than me - run on the treadmill, etc. I can only handle a recumbent bike, and only on good days. I doubt a protocol like Dr. Levine's would work for me. It just goes to show that we all have to listen to our bodies. I am glad there is an article that shows that cardio is not the best for everyone.