Losartan Is Helping Me

jangle

Thanks Issie and Corina.

Emma yes, I'm up to 6 miles 4 times a week.

I think what's left of my POTS is eye-ear imbalance. It's not really lightheaded it's more of just an "off balance" feeling. I'm trying to walk with my eyes closed and my eyes moving to try to get my brain to recalibrate its balance to using my feet + ears rather than my eyes for balance.

I think what's left of my POTS is eye-ear imbalance. It's not really lightheaded it's more of just an "off balance" feeling. I'm trying to walk with my eyes closed and my eyes moving to try to get my brain to recalibrate its balance to using my feet + ears rather than my eyes for balance.

Jangle, I don't know if it would help or not - before I had my POTS DX - they thought I was having vertigo and had me lie on the bed and sort of swing/move my head side to side like rolling with my eyes open - it will really bring on dizziness - but, it's supposed to help reset that imbalance thing. I can't say for sure it helped because I still have the dizziness - but, it's nothing now like it was then. So, maybe it helped. Just be careful because you might barf - when you do it - cause it will make you really dizzy and nauseous. Thus, the reason for lying down.

Issie

Jangle!!!!

I am SO happy for you. I have to be honest- I don't if it is from my concussions or POTS brain- or both- but as I was skimming this whole post my poor brain was not comprehending most of it... EXCEPT: "Today I've been pretty much 95% improved throughout the majority of it." I cannot TELL you how happy that made me and just made my WHOLE DAY!!!!!

I am so proud of you for not giving up, trying new things and also taking the time to be such a positive motivator in this forum- who always has a friendly, kind comment and lots of encouragement and compassion!!! You go enjoy this day 95% free of symptoms and LIVE life!!!!!!!!

Jen

This is great news Jangle...it works well for me, too!! Hope your "Off balance" feeling improves. I still have this problem, and I have just accepted it as a part of the dysautonomia that will always be with me...it's amazing though, how our bodies do learn to compensate. I am not as nauseated as I used to be either, because of the dizziness, which is much improved. I'm still not good in the car, though. I actually wear the motion sick arm bands (acupressure to the wrist), though, and I believe they actually help me, if I am in the car or on the elliptical!! Wow, I'm impressed with your exercise regimen, too!!

I agree...it does not help with tachycardia. Also, I just want to stress that this medication is helpful only for people who are vasoconstricted. The majority of people with POTS are vasodilated, I believe, and Losartan should not be taken by anyone who is vasodilated. I guarantee that it would make you worse!

Jangle, I don't know if it would help or not - before I had my POTS DX - they thought I was having vertigo and had me lie on the bed and sort of swing/move my head side to side like rolling with my eyes open - it will really bring on dizziness - but, it's supposed to help reset that imbalance thing. I can't say for sure it helped because I still have the dizziness - but, it's nothing now like it was then. So, maybe it helped. Just be careful because you might barf - when you do it - cause it will make you really dizzy and nauseous. Thus, the reason

for lying down.

Issie

Issie - I think that they were trying to treat you for BBPV (if I am remembering the term correctly). My Dr. tried this maneuver on me when I first complained of dizziness. It is a problem where tiny particles in the inner ear are somehow "loose". Doing this maneuver supposedly jiggles them back into place. It obviously did nothing for me, as that was not my problem. But if your dizziness is coming from an inner ear problem, people report that it helps. You can do it on yourself - you can look up BBPV on youtube.

Glad to hear you are doing better, Jangle! I hope it continues.

If I don't have pooling and I get very cold, would that imply vasoconstricted?

Abby

If I don't have pooling and I get very cold, would that imply vasoconstricted?

Abby

I don't know, Abby. We suspected that Danny was vasoconstricted because vasoconstricting drugs like Midodrine, Mestinon and Adderall made him much more symptomatic. Then he participated in an Nitric Oxide research study, which showed that he was deficient. The logical conclusion to that is that he is vasoconstricted.

I think it was the original Losartan study, although the main effects are probably mediated through nitric oxide. But the idea was to curb ang II reception which was theorised would resolve blood volume abnormalities.

Mestinon doesnt seem to vasoconstrict for me. Seems to just boost parasympathetic activity in my case.

Rama, if the Mestinon doesn't end up working for you, my neurologist is trying to get Provigil authorized for me for fatigue. He gives it to his MS patients, and my ANS doctor also has prescribed it before for dysautonomia patients, so I'll let you know how it goes...if it gets authorized by my insurance company, that is!

I misunderstood...thought you were using it for fatigue; never heard of it being used for presyncope. Isn't it the med used for MG? Learn something new every day :)