Autonomic Symposium Presentation Topics

Yeah, it would definitly hold MY attention. I'd have to practice up on my short hand again - I wouldn't want to miss a word of it. Maybe, they would let you record it. I don't know??? I wonder if some of the lectures are available somewhere or at least a trascript of the program. It'd be great to be able to be in on some of these lectures.

At least we know that they are talking about us and trying to figure things out. Sometimes, it just seems we're on a desert island and no one knows we exist. LOL :)

Issie

Ya, what am I saying...we should be fundraising to send some of the highly knowledgeable members of this group, right?!! :) Trip to Paradise anyone??? I know I would be no good to attend because at least half of the information would go completely over my head (plus it would require me leaving the house. lol).

I agree, Issie, that it's good to know that they are talking about POTS and after their trip to Paradise they should be refreshed and ready to take it on...(ok, that's hopeful).

I know who I'd like to go - but, not sure he'd be able to. Rama, want to go? I'd chip in some money for you to go and come back with lots of info for us.

I know Rama would understand what was being said and could give us a talk, by talk run down on what the researchers/doctors are saying.

One vote for Rama!

Issie

A lot of that looks really interesting! It was fun to scroll through the researchers because my neurologist is listed as an author on a few of the talks/posters. I agree that they definitely pick some awesome locations. Glad people are doing work on this stuff.

I agree with you Issie. Rama would definitely be a good representative for us! I'm always amazed at the level of understanding and info he shares.

I'd love to go. But by how hard they hide the content of these talks and how often the info is never published i get the feeling they don't want nosy patients involved.

I'd be willing to put the leg work into finding out if you could attend - if you'd do it and we could raise enough money for you to go. What do you think?

Issie

I searched a few topics and some I found a similar publication by the same authors and some I couldn't find anything. I could only see the abstracts that I did find because I don't have full access to PubMed. To your point, rama, I think if research is privately funded then its ok to hide results (not nice, but ok) but how many of these researchers (at least in the U.S.) get federal research funds? Lots. That info I think should be made public as we all helped pay for it. (Oh, sorry, that was my out loud voice wasn't it. :P )

Definitely some interesting topics. Thanks for posting.

I think if research is privately funded then its ok to hide results (not nice, but ok) but how many of these researchers (at least in the U.S.) get federal research funds? Lots. That info I think should be made public as we all helped pay for it. (Oh, sorry, that was my out loud voice wasn't it. :P )

LOL :) your soooo funny. I agree!

Issie

It would be around $5,000 as a rough guess. Airfare has gone up a lot. I know it's expensive in the islands too. What do you think Rama - would you qualifiy (you have to either be a physician or a med student or was within the last 5 years). Registration has to be done by June 1st. And could we raise the money people?

I for one would like as much information as possible. It would get us the latest and greatest.

Issie

Didn't see an agenda. But, if someone is either a med student or was in the last 5 years or a doctor - they can be signed up as a member and also that saves $100 on the whole day of info. Plus, I looked at tickets for Rama, if he's qualified and also a hotel and that included all of that. I couldn't find rental car prices - so that might would be a little more - but, I included a estimated rental car and food in that amount. Sooooo.......now, to see if he qualifies and if he can go. Or someone else????????? But, we'd have to see what kind of funding we could get.

Issie

Oh, and that was giving about a 5 night trip so there could be some fun had too. It's cheaper to allow a few more days before air return - plus, he'd never be able to fly that far and turn around and fly back again that fast. Looking out for you Rama. Even that many days might not be long enough. (It wouldn't be for me.) But, not sure this would happen - anyway - but, it's fun to think we could get him there and get all that information second hand. :)

Issie

http://www.americanautonomicsociety.org/

This site is a pretty good resource for finding docs and clinical trials too. One of the other interesting notes is the Streeten Fund, which is as big a contributor to this symposium. My doc at Vandy is on the donor list, as is Dr. Stewart and other names we know. If you want a charity to give to for POTS/ANS dysfunction research, this site could pool enough to get its name on the donor list!

As for the three Big Pharma companies that donate...Bless them! They are at least interested!