10Min Standing Test

roxie

I asked this question at Mayo when I did the TTT there as part of the autonomic testing... and the tech told me, just as Jangle noted, that anyone, perfectly or healthy or not, would eventually faint on a tilt table.... I think she said after 30 minutes is the max time they will go. I think... it was either 30 or 40 minutees.... I lasted all of 45 seconds and wasn't all the way tilted to the maximum degree yet before I fainted so she said I made her job super easy that day :)

As far as the 10 min stand test... I am not sure what that means. I know that they look for the heartrate to increase within the 10 minutes of standing and I guess maybe would assume if you could stand for 10 minutes without having significant tachycardia maybe they wouldn't attribute it to POTS? But that it purely guessing on my part.

Jen

That's what I would tend to think lemons...that it could happen at any time.

Maybe the say that for diagnosing.

Jen- a stand test, like a poor mans tilt test. You stand in one spot on your own & they check your vitals.

My dr said he likes to get patients to pass a 10-15 mins stand test. He said if you can stand for 10 mins you can do 80% of things bc most of the time a chair is near by.

I just never understood it because I assume when your ANS is wacky it could set in at any time.

Jangle- anyone can faint but not everyone does. My brother is a marine & done extensive standing and upright things and has never fainted, so I figure it's not genetic in our case.

My doctor said the 10 minutes was to rule out anxiety as the cause of your tachycardia. In other words..if your still tachy at 10 minutes, its not anxiety :P .

I have wondered about this too.

Some days I can do more than others without tachycardia but my other symptoms which I put down to pots are still there and I can still feel quite ill.

Was thinking about this over the weekend about how a lot of medication controls the hr but there are lots of other symptoms as a result of ANS dysfunction. But this seems to be the defining test.

These days I can stand quite well but any exertion causes tachycardia - so is that pots?

Keep in mind that there are also other forms of OI, such as Neurocardiogenic Syncope which involves a fluctuation of your blood pressure. My TTT was run for the full 45 mins. because they thought that's what I had. I just so happened that what we found was POTS when the results were in. I am a firm believer that the full 45 min. test is really useful for those suspected of a form of dysautonomia. How can they accurately diagnose without the full test? Not all forms of OI have a time limit.