What Do You Do To Cheer Yourself Up?

heathmcev

When you're feeling down, have zero energy, and can't leave home to be social or do a fun activity, what do you do at home to lighten your mood?

My go-to things that don't take active energy are skyping with a friend who I know gets my situation (or can at least distract me), and playing with my dog.

(null)

Talking with my grandma on FaceTime :) and cuddling with my dogs too. I also like to look at my fish aquarium- very relaxing.

Talk or text with a friend who understands, read the bible, pray, cuddle with my cat, get some sunshine, paint/draw, play guitar, watch a comedy, paint my nails, daydream about how things will change, do some research (always seems to give me hope), do some window shopping online, play games like tetris, words with friends, hanging with friends, etc., listen to some happy feel good music, watch funny youtube videos, search for some great recipes to try, coupon clipping, send cards to people going through a rough time, read the news and reflect on how fortunate I am, ...and many other things I'm probably forgetting!

This forum itself is a big source of comfort :). Just to know that there are others out there who are in the same situation, and that you are not alone. Also hearing about others success stories, or how well they cope with things is inspiring to me.

I hear ya! I like upbeat music or a good movie,

I think sometimes the best thing to do if your struggling emotionally is go talk with someone who gets it.

If your down from just not having enegy than simple distractions help amd chocolate, I wish i could eat chocolate all the time!

I find my little dog cheers me up too

Comedy. Comedy. Comedy. Laughing's good for you! Many times the comedians' jokes remind me that there are worse things in life.

Learning to take pleasure in life's simple pleasures, such as the warm feeling of the sun on your skin (even if through the window), the softness of blankets & pillows, the smell of fresh flowers, the way light dances on the ripples in a lake/pond/river, the company of good friends, closing my eyes after taking a bite of food and savouring the taste & texture.

Volunteering also got me through a lot. I might not have always been in the best of shape, but I still had valuable skills and experiences to share with others. Often you don't realize just how powerful of an experience this can be for yourself & those you've worked with until many years later. It's also yet another area where you often realize there's worse things out there than what you're going through.

Pets are great too! I'm always amazed at just how much they can sense and how they respond. They're always so comforting and concerned, especially when I'm sick. I swear they sometimes pick up on things my body does before I do.

I like to try to help others and take my mind off myself. I try to do that here on this site.

I also have a few friends that I email and stay in touch with. One friend in particular, e-mails me every day. I truly value that friendship - it helps me make it through to another day. I think friends are probably one of the most important things in my life. If you can focus on someone other than yourself - it helps to feel that you are making some sort of a dent in humanity. And it will give you a purpose and a sense of self worth.

I also, love to make jewelry. I haven't lately because my arthritis has been bad and to maneuver the tools and work with metals - you have to have allot of strength in your hands. It's my creative outlet and all my friends LOVE what I make - since, most of them benefit from what I make. (I can't possibly wear everything. And really how much jewelry does one NEED. It's a luxury any way. LOL!)

I also really enjoy nature and enjoy taking pictures. I take some very unique pictures of things. I see beauty where others see just some old weed. I guess that's a creative outlet too.

I enjoy talking about the Bible and find great comfort in it. Gives me a reason to continue on and have faith that there are better times ahead for all of mankind. And I hope that by sharing the Bible's hope for the future it gives others a reason to endure.

Issie

Issie- you do so much for others on this forum. Your posts to me have genuinely moved me to tears more than once. You are an inspiration because you remind me what a gift it is to give of yourself to help someone in need. God Bless you for all you do!!! Your loving nature shines right through your words, day after day. I thank God for bringing you and this forum into my life. Thank you so much. The Bibke is also of great comfort to me and I have several books that I've received throughout my hospitalizations and illnesses over the last several months that have daily scriptures and inspirations. I have about 12 different ones so I try to read those daily as well.

Bunny- its interesting you brought up finding comfort in simple pleasures like the softness of a blanket, etc. I never used to pay much attention to such things as much, but I've noticed now that the feel and texture of things now matter a great deal to me. Blankets, towels, sheets, clothing, etc... I notice that I also get comfort from those simple pleasures and now I am very picky about fabric. Maybe before I was never still long enough to notice??? I am not sure, but I also appreciate those things and it does make me feel better.

One thing I do to cheer myself up every day is my journal writing. I have 3 Gratitude Journals. One for general gratitude which I've one forever. One for Rob (my husband- we have been going through a difficult patch lately with both of us adjusting to the severity of my illness and I tended to be so Type A and controlling that I knew it would destroy both of us if I didn't stop complaining about how everything he I'd wasn't how I'd do it- so I started keeping a journal daily about things he's done that I'm grateful for bad it impacted my attitude a lot when I really look at everything he does) and lastly is my "Challenge" journal nd that is dedicated to the illnesses I have. I try to keep it positive and think of something every day that having this disease has taught me, brought into my life, changed a perspective whatever. Every day I make myself think of 3 things positive, if I'm not feeling so positive I can vent in there too but not until I make myself think of the 3 positive things. Lastly, I have an individual journal for all 6 kids. Once a week I write in their journals and describe their week to them. Things they did, funny or sassy things they may have said, accomplishments, punishments, the good and the not so good. I just have a conversation with them about their week. I plan to give these to each of them when they graduate high school. The ones I have now I've been doing or 5 years, when my current hubby and I married and I started one for my new kids ("his" kids but they are mine in my heart). Way off topic, but I had been doing ths since my oldest daughter, now almost 16, was born.. I have 4 bio kids and they each had journals but after I divorced my EX he decided it would really hurt me to destroy all of the journals and the kids pictures and scrapbooks. Sigh.. It did hurt me and it hurt his kids, but I strongly feel such an act hurt HIM more than anyone else because of the hate and bitterness it took to do such a thing. But I digress, I started over and journaling is a great comfort to me. I love to log history...

Jen