Hallmark Symptoms Of Very High Blood Sugars Is The Combination Of Extreme Thirst And Frequent Urination

"A vicious circle. To make the circle even more vicious, when you have high blood sugars, you urinate—and of course what happens then is that you get even more dehydrated and more insulin-resistant and your blood sugar goes even higher. Now your peripheral cells have a choice—either die from lack of glucose and insulin or metabolize fat. They’ll choose the latter. But ketones are created by fat metabolism, causing you to urinate even more to rid yourself of the ketones, taking you to a whole new level of dehydration."

"Ketones and ketoacids are toxic in large amounts. More important, your kidneys will try to eliminate them with even more urine, thereby causing further dehydration. Some of the hallmarks of severe ketoacidosis are large amounts of ketones in the urine, extreme thirst, dry mouth, nausea, frequent urination, deep labored breathing, and high blood sugar (usually over 350 mg/dl)."

"Osmotic diuresis is increased urination caused by the presence of certain substances in the small tubes of the kidneys.[1] The excretion occurs when substances such as glucose enter the kidney tubules and cannot be reabsorbed (due to a pathological state or the normal nature of the substance). The substances cause an increase in the osmotic pressure within the tubule, causing retention of water within the lumen, and thus reduces the reabsorption of water, increasing urine output (ie. diuresis). The same effect can be seen in therapeutics such as mannitol, which is used to increase urine output and decrease extracellular fluid volume.

Substances in the circulation can also increase the amount of circulating fluid by increasing the osmolarity of the blood. This has the effect of pulling water from the interstitial space, making more water available in the blood and causing the kidney to compensate by removing it as urine. In hypotension, often colloids are used intravenously to increase circulating volume in themselves, but as they exert a certain amount of osmotic pressure, water is therefore also moved, further increasing circulating volume. As blood pressure increases, the kidney removes the excess fluid as urine.

Sodium, chloride, potassium are excreted in Osmotic diuresis, originating from Diabetes Mellitus (DM). Osmotic diuresis results in dehydration frompolyuria and the classic polydipsia (excessive thirst) associated"

It seems that allot of us are insulin resistant and this could be playing a role in our symptoms. But, according to Life Extension magazine anything over 100 is now considered to be insulin resistant or too high. That includes after eating. They are now recommending being down in the 80's and 90's. I would almost bet that none of us are that low with our blood sugars.

Issie

Rich, when my pots first became bad, i was sure it had something to do with glucose. I have had my fasting glucose tested over 5 times, and also have had a glucose tolerance test. They give you this really sugary drink and measure your body's response to it. After 30 minutes, i became symptomatic. I thought i was going to pass out and they had to take me back to a bed in my dr.'s office. They drew my glucose and it was within normal limits. Wonder if it would bring on symptoms if i did it again...Another thing to consider is that the brain needs glucose just as much as it needs oxygen. I also have always wondered if it's not the lack of oxygen to the brain, but rather a lack of glucose that causes our symptoms. Or since it is supposed to be a blood flow issues, maybe its both. I've also read that epinephrine raises blood sugar. And during our "panic attacks" or at least mine anyways, i can assure you my blood sugar levels are becoming readily available as though i were running for my life.

Here is a basic article on this:

http://www.emedicine.../article_em.htm

"Adrenal insufficiency results from diseases that impair the adrenal glands, which are located above the kidneys. These small structures make certain hormones and substances, mainly cortisol and epinephrine, which also help elevate glucose in addition to their other functions. If these substances are not made, low blood pressure, hypoglycemia, or both can result."

Hmm...according to this article beta blockers can also cause hypogylcemia..that's interesting...

When i think of pots, i think of it as multiple mechanisms building off of one another. Its like one system trying to correct something, sets another system off to try to correct it, but instead it restarts the other system off etc. until it turns a full circle and the process continues on.

Wow, non-fasting blood glucose above 100 mg/dL is considered (by Life Extension) to be insulin resistance? That might include most of the population. ?

Yeah, I don't feel good when mine is down in the 80's. I feel much better in the 90's. But, when I eat I go up to around 120-130 - which according to them is too high. It used to be by the old standards to not go over 140 with eating. So, this new lowering of the numbers would be hard for most anyone to achieve. I have found that what keeps my levels in the best balance from swinging either too high or too low is GTF Chromium. I use the NOW brand. If I'm having trouble with it swinging in either direction I'll use 2 a day - one a.m., one p.m. But, if I'm staying pretty balanced I use one at night at bedtime, to eliminate that waking up hungry feel. It seems to work well for me.

Lemons, that is sort of why I won't get on beta blockers full-time, but just sporadic. What BB also do is "mask" the symptoms of hypoglycemia by not letting the adrenaline do its thing to raise the glucose levels, so I won't take it. I have low blood sugar and symptoms from it every day, and I need the warning signs to remind me to eat quickly.

Lemons, that is sort of why I won't get on beta blockers full-time, but just sporadic. What BB also do is "mask" the symptoms of hypoglycemia by not letting the adrenaline do its thing to raise the glucose levels, so I won't take it. I have low blood sugar and symptoms from it every day, and I need the warning signs to remind me to eat quickly.

Do anything help for glucose issues?

They give you this really sugary drink and measure your body's response to it. After 30 minutes, i became symptomatic. I thought i was going to pass out and they had to take me back to a bed in my dr.'s office.

Me too - hate that test - it makes me feel so sick and dizzy. Does that mean anything or can normal people react badly to it as well?

The one time I had it, I went high(not diabetes high), but then at 3 hours my glucose crashed into the 50s. I was still doing okay until 30 minutes later. I had begun my usual adrenaline symptoms of shaking, hot flash, anxiety, irritability. They fed me without getting that last draw. I guess they have never run into someone going into a low, because they had no protocol--they had to call my doctor to ask what to do and he said, "GIVE HER ORANGE JUICE NOW, and then feed her!". I was lucky--the small town hospital that did it for me routinely puts their OGTT patients in a hospital room. It was really nice to have a bed and privacy, especially when the symptoms hit!

I have excessive thirst and polyuria but, if anything, my blood sugar runs on the low side. When they test me for hypoglycemia, I test just a point or two over the cut off for the official dx. I have had to do blood sugar monitoring so we could see what my sugar does throughout a normal day and I never have readings over 140. I think my thirst and polyuria are direct symptoms of my dysautonomia. I can feel them get better and worse with the rest of my POTS symptoms.

Do anything help for glucose issues?

I've found that GTF Chromium helps me.

The one time I had it, I went high(not diabetes high), but then at 3 hours my glucose crashed into the 50s. I was still doing okay until 30 minutes later. I had begun my usual adrenaline symptoms of shaking, hot flash, anxiety, irritability. They fed me without getting that last draw. I guess they have never run into someone going into a low, because they had no protocol--they had to call my doctor to ask what to do and he said, "GIVE HER ORANGE JUICE NOW, and then feed her!". I was lucky--the small town hospital that did it for me routinely puts their OGTT patients in a hospital room. It was really nice to have a bed and privacy, especially when the symptoms hit!

That test is horrible. I found out when I was only 12 years old that I had hypoglycemia with this test - mine went down to 34. Talking about SICK. Immediate candy and orange juice. But, now they try to not do sugar, but protein. Because sugar will make it spike fast but the lows after are horrible. I still swing with mine. But, do much better since I started the GTF Chromium.

This is a great topic! Just this past month I bought myself a glucometer (you can get them for as little as $20). I was horrified to see my fasting glucose come up as 115 --basically that means I'm pre-diabetic. I am wondering how many of us are? Diabetes can cause all of the problems we face with POTS, yet I feel some of us might be flying under the radar. They have proven that pre-diabetes can cause the same detrimental health effects and full-fledged diabetes. What if our bodies are just more sensitive to it than most ?

There have been some very interesting studies on pre-diabetes and autonomic neuropathy.

Yeah, Rissy - like I stated earlier, according to Life Extension anything over 100 - they are finding has drastic impact on our health and they (Life Extension people) are considering it insulin resistant. They are suggesting for people to use metformin - even without diabetes. But, that has the chance of causing lactic acodosis - so would have to be careful with it. The people at that magazine have done studies and found that we may sometimes have drastic swings to very high with our blood sugar and it can cause damage even if it's not sustained. They say to try to get fasting down into the 80's and peak at 100. I don't think that's possible for me. But, I'm working on my diet - so we'll see.

Diet can make a huge difference :) Some people do need medications as well (I'm talking about type 2 diabetes here), but diet is typically the first treatment tried.

After a lot of research, I insisted on an endo and the glucose tollerance test. I am pre-diabetic. This article http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/5/1553.full#sec-54 explains a lot. Some people cannot handle even pre-diabetic levels of glucose. They get POTS symptoms.

I have been lower carbing for 2 years now. It has GREATLY improved my POTS. I still get flares but they're many months inbetween and not very bad, and they only last a day or two. I still have HR swings, but they do not bother me.

I also had the OGTT (3 hour sugar test) a couple of times when I was pre-teen. I was normal, but I was having POTS symtoms even then.

I keep my carbs to 50-120 ish a day. I do NOT go over 40 per meal. I have cut out all sugar, potatoes, rice and flour.

This is a great site if you're interested in lowering carbs and the damage that can occur with higher readings. http://bloodsugar101.com/

I'm not saying this is everyone's problem, and I don't know if it is my problem, but if not, it sure is exacerbating my POTS symptoms.

It's also a halmark of being really pregnant! I'm peeing every 15 mins or less, and doc wants me to up my fluids! While other Potsies are looking around for a chair, im looking around for a toilet ha ha.

Ok ill get serious now. My dad is a poorly-managed diabetic. He really has no idea what he's doing, and is totally irrational when high or low. It's scarry. I was borderline gestational diabetes with my first baby, and it was wretched. Felt awful and very POTSy. I think my POTS symptoms feel VERY similar to high and low glucose levels.

Have you heard of Reactive hypoglycemia, or postprandial hypoglycemia?

Rich, been labelled with "reactive hypo" from 20 years ago. Back then it was not life-altering and I just made sure I did not skip meals. Somehow, a few years ago, it took a turn for the worst, and my day is structured around eating, all day, everywhere I go.

Postprandial hypoglycemia can be more than just "reactive hypoglycemia". There are cases of hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia caused by insulinomas. And then there are cases of something called nesidioblastosis, which occurs when there are too many insulin-secreting cells on the pancreas. Most of these are either in newborns or people who have had gastric bypass, which I have not had. I'm hoping the doctors will look a little closer into these situations in me.