Helping! Feeling Awful Might Go To The Er!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be CAREFUL with the tylenol - I read a case where a guy went into complete liver failure taking the normal amount of tylenol without eating when he was sick with the flu. (And he didn't survive.) It is very, very hard on your liver. (I, personally, won't take the stuff - too afraid of it.)

I have a fever and feel achy and am allergic to asprin, what else should I take? I took 4 max strength in the last 12 hours. I'm going to take 2 more before bed. They say the max is 8 pills in 24 hours..

Be CAREFUL with the tylenol - I read a case where a guy went into complete liver failure taking the normal amount of tylenol without eating when he was sick with the flu. (And he didn't survive.) It is very, very hard on your liver. (I, personally, won't take the stuff - too afraid of it.)

maybe his liver was compromised. They say if someone drinks 3 servings of alcohol/day it's not safe...

The guy was an athletic, health conscious guy - not sick like us. Rich ---BE CAREFUL! If you're running a fever and it isn't high - then sometimes it's good for your body to burn it. Your body does that to try to burn out infection or whatever nasties its trying to get rid of. Sometimes, if you bring the fever down - the illness last longer. It's your bodies way of trying to fight whatever it is that you picked up. I'm just now seeing this (4 hours after you wrote it) and I know - you've probably already taken more. Keep a watch on your eyes and make sure that the whites aren't turning yellow. Let us know how you are tomorrow. Hope feeling allot better. I need to think about what else other than the vinegar and olive leaf that I've already mentioned that I take. I'm trialing some anti-inflamatory type herbs right now - but, don't have an opinion on them yet. They are supposed to actually do more than an NSAID but not hurt your stomach or cause organ failure etc. I can tell you what they are, if your interested. I'm having a bad flare with arthritis and it is supposed to help with that, so it would probably help with body pains too from an illness - I would think.

Issie

Rich, I'm glad you've decided to call either the ER or your local doctors for advice when necessary. Although everyone here has been very helpful and members gave some good ideas, you are the one who is responsible for you. As we are no doctors you need to check with them when needed.

Hope you're doing better but if not please make sure you take very good care of yourself!

Corina

Update:

I still am running a 100 F temp. I finally slept last night (hadn't slept in 40 hours+). I went to bed 11pm woke up 12am, went back to sleep, woke up 2am, went back to sleep and woke up 10 am. I also haven't eaten for 2 days, only drank 2 gallons of water...

I'm glad I didn't go to the ER, but it was risky. I finally made found a local doctor who I'm going to see in an hour. I think I have a little more strength to at least go to the appt. I haven't seen this doc before and don't know if I should get into all the POTS stuff just yet.. I want him to test me for infection, ect...

on my way now to the doctor. two strange things are this fever started with my POTS adreniline rush and whichever way I lay the heat goes to that spot and it feels awful. I had to prop my head up when I slept because the heat would go to my head and eyes but then I had a lot of pressure in my neck and my breathing and heart were sore :( wish me luck

Update #2: I went to my appt. The doc was ok, he was a little quick and a bit of a germaphobe (read that on RatemyMd.com before the visit). He is also clueless about Dysautonomia, which I expected. I told him I had Dysautonomia and he replied, "you mean familial dyautonomia" I said no I have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and as soon and I said orthostatic he said "orthostatic hypotension" ugh.

He ordered Xray to check for pneumonia, Blood tests and urine tests. I made him give me strep culture. I wanted him to test for staph infection to but he declined..I'll have to go back to my ENT to get that in 2 weeks. Problem was that the appt he gave me was after 5pm and all the labs were close except for the local hospital lab. He told me to go to the ER. I said no way, that was the point of seeing him.

I went to the hospital outpatient lab/radiology (it's not free because my ins only excepts labcorp). I didn't want to wait. I went took all the test but I have to wait until tomorrow for results.

I should have told him to do a sputum test. Also my GF noticed my eyes and skin look yellow, I hope he is testing my liver too.

glad i had enuf strength for the appts

Update #3: Chest xray showed Pneumonia. They don't have the blood work back or the urine testing or the strep test (they say the strep test will take a few days..) Meanwhile they gave me a Z-pack (azithromycin) 5-day supply.

My fever finally broke I'm at 97.4 now, I still feel clammy. My Mom brought me some food so I'm going to try to eat more today..

They say Pnemonia can be caused by many things, I hope it's bacterial so the medicine will kill it. Has anyone been had a viral culture before? I don't know why more doctors don't order that to rule that out, even though you can have both viral and bacterial at the same time..

i'm sorry to hear about the pneumonia rich but glad that you're temperature is coming down. i''ve only had a bacterial pneumonia , it took me quite some time to recover from it.

hope you'll feel better soon!

If you don't mind; What medicine were you given, how long did it take to recover and how did they know it was only bacterial?

i have to think real hard here, i can't remember the anitibiotics anymore (they wanted to keep me in hospital on IV antibiotics, but i started crying as i so wanted to go home that they let me go), i think they based their conclusion (bacterial) on labwork and i do remember that it took me about 6 months to recover (i think i've had pots all my live but wasn't diagnosed at that time).

Oh my, Rich, obviously, I've been off site too long...glad your fever broke. I never take tylenol, because of the liver toxicity problem with it. I only take NSAIDS. I never take cold remedies either, because they increase my heart rate. It is true, that when your sick, even a normal person will get tachycardia. I only had pneumonia once, that I know of, but I've had bronchitis many times. If it is viral, the antibiotics won't do a thing. If it's bacterial, the antibiotics should start to work within 24-48 hours. If you have the flu, they can give you a shot to shorten the duration of a virus, though. I guess you need to wait a few days to see if your cultures grow anything. Keep drinking fluids...broth and chicken soup are great when you are sick. If you are nauseated, ginger ale is great, too!! Hope you are feeling better soon. Healing prayers!!

I would talk with your doctor about a prescription cough medication, so that you cough more productively, when you do cough, because if you are coughing a lot, it can irritate the lining of your lungs even more. Inflammation in the lining can cause the pain you describe :( Hope you start feeling better...prayers!

I would talk with your doctor about a prescription cough medication, so that you cough more productively, when you do cough, because if you are coughing a lot, it can irritate the lining of your lungs even more. Inflammation in the lining can cause the pain you describe :( Hope you start feeling better...prayers!

I've been using Musinex and coughing up bloody yucky mucus :( Thank you for your prayers!