Lack Of Appetite

Sorry to hear that- I can relate. :( There are three foods I eat when it happens- dry bread, crackers and bananas and then in a few days I will start to feel a little better. Somedays I just can NOT eat a thing so I just drink ,but I know it's not good to do that. Do you have any nausea meds? I don't notice a huge difference with them but usually I can force food down if I take one. I really hope you feel better- it is so miserable. Also sometimes when I take a Ginger capsule or fresh Ginger it will work better than my prescribed pills. Or Ginger tea.

Thanks for replying...I don't have any nausea meds but now I'm thinking I might need to if it will help. My only problem with the nausea meds is that I'm taking so many already and I hate to put more drugs in my system. I will have to try the ginger though, I might be able to tolerate the tea.

I have this problem as well. It's not from nausea either, it's just a lack of appetite in general. Especially when I have excessive sympathetic drive. I am underweight and mineral deficient. I am also finding signs of malnutrition on my nails. I have these things called Beau's lines on my both big toenails. Looked it up and its a sign of systemic illness and malnutrition. Fabulous

I also do better on a gluten/dairy free diet, so trying to stay off of those two things and gain weight at the same time is nearly impossible!

Add me to the list. Mine isn't due to nausea- just lack of appetite. I've lost about 35 lbs during this really bad flare. I have not found anything anything to help yet... It seems like my "appetite sensor" is broken... Add my swallowing issues and dry mouth to that and it is just about impossible to ever get enough calories.

I suffer from lack of appetite too. Sometimes it's due to nausea, sometimes it isn't. I find it's a lot worse in warm/hot weather or when I'm worn out. I try to take some soup or broth for salt, but sometimes even that doesn't sound good. Sometimes green tea and ginger tea help me feel a little more "normal" (I use the term loosely :P )

Me, too. I force myself to eat but once in a while I will have a strong appetitie but if I don't sieze it quickly, it will pass. My fish oil makes me nauseous. My immunologist thought my calcium/vitamin D were also contributing to the problem and switched me to a nickel free multiple 1 a day vitamin. I also have a fatty pancreas and malabsorption issues, GERD, gastritis, IBD, so per recommendation of the immunologist, I take (choke down) a can of Rx Isosource every day to help get in vitamins/minerals/calories, plus have added whey for more protein to one of my foods each day.

Hi,

7 years ago I would have been writing that I was very skinny and had no answer to why. Now I'm quite overweight and can't tell you why either. I follow the same diet now as I did then. One for people who have intolerances to certain chemicals in foods, natural or highly processed.

Does anyone else do supplements like Ensure or Boost? That is really what I live on. Or pudding or things of that consistency.

My immunologist Rx'd Isosource (more potent than Ensure/Boost products) that my local pharmacist gets a discount on and special orders for me. I also started adding whey to something in my food/drink once daily for a little extra protein. Again the Isosource was under the recommendation of my immunologist (and my PCP concurred).