Question About Fish Oil Supplements

rubytuesday

I am taking a nickel free multiple vitamin per immunologist's recommendation. Immunologist told me to go off the calcium, vitamin D, folic acid, fish oil and eye vitamin, and just take this 1 multivitamin. It has the same amount of vitamin D that I was taking but didn't see that it was D3 (like my supplement was). The multiple vitamin has much greater vitamin A + C and selenium and luten (multiple vitamin has no selenium/luten). Optometrist and opthamologist tells me--no way I can stop eye vitamin or fish oil--I need as much omega 3 as I can get with eyes at risk for so many things and having dry eyes, corneal erosions to boot. I'd remembered this morning as I was still having GERD at 10:45 from the fish oil I'd taken at 7 that morning that this huge puppy was one of the pills I had aspirated (with my vocal cord dysfunction, when I took my pill, the cords must have been closed and chucked it into airway). I could not cough it out, started to rattle and thought I was going to choke to death.

I cannot take liquid fish oil. I just cannot. Something about certain tastes/textures on my tongue/in my mouth make me wretch. Does anybody know if fish oil comes in another form?

On a side note, I was reading that in winter (not so much sunshine), you should take cod liver for your fish oil to get more vitamin D and in summer go back to fish oil (since you'll get more vitamin D from the sun). (I suppose they don't take into account those of us who use sunscreen and have GI absorption issues).

Any suggestions very welcomed. Thank you.

Just saw a commercial for Mega Red Krill Oil being better than fish oil in omega 3s and crosses brain barrier, smaller than fish oil, not supposed to cause fish-tasting belching. I'd taken fish oil for at least a decade before the POTS got bad. I did go off of it when my immunologist told me to (hadn't restarted it til about 6 weeks later when I saw the optometrist). I didn't notice any change with my POTS--unless increased nausea today (was really worse than my daily nausea) was from dysautonomia being worse. I'd woke up with stiff neck and had used heating pad and have just felt 'strange' (like mild presyncopal today) but in morning, my BP runs a little low--this morning it was in 120s over 89 (I figured it was pain). Came back down tonight to its average of 112/72. Still have pain and feel a little bit lightheaded but the pain is decreasing. I wonder if kinking your neck when you sleep triggers anything with the dysautonomia as circulation/cerebrospinal flow may have been impeded. (Sorry to get off topic).

The Mega Red Krill oil is really pricey compared to fish oil but reading the difference between the two seems to be no brainer to get omega 3s in krill oil. So hard to tell though as everybody seems to be pushing their own products.

There is a brand of fish oil called Fisol that will not give you fishy acid reflux (it is enteric coated). My mom and I both have to use only this brand or we get fishy reflux (ewwww!) It is in the form of a gel capsule that is shaped like a small football. Hope you find one that works for you.

Thanks, Katybug--I look for that (not whole lot of places in small home town to look, though).

I've been using different ones, metagenics, country life, ?, for several years now. I "think" it helps me not feel as stiff and sore.

When I first started taking the metagenics brand I noticed some hypermobility in my knees and

elbows and was wondering if any of you noticed that .. I cut back on the dose and it helped.

I don't recall feeling hypermobile otherwise .. Weird, huh ?

Tc .. D