Exaggerated Responses To Emotional Stress In Pots - Talk

ramakentesh

I have an issue with the way the medical system looks at anxiety. I've said this before, but I'll mention my story again in a few sentences. Twenty years ago began having "anxiety" attacks. Was told by old gp it was "just anxiety" and to take this anti-depressant. I did as I was told(didn't know any better back then). Years later, off the anti-depressant, still having off/on "anxiety" attacks. Three years ago bought a glucose meter and voila! Anxiety attack=low blood sugar 60 or under . So, yes, we have anxiety but the doctors need to take into consideration the amount of adrenaline we release repeatedly as we get up to shower or do any chores.

I now often wonder if all those 20 years of not knowing I had low blood sugar could have built up my adrenaline-secreting cells, to where I have more than normal. Or, some independent-secreting adrenaline cells. Add POTS on top of low blood sugars causing adrenaline release in me, and I do believe my adrenals might have a few too many catecholamine and/or cortisol secretors!

I think the research supports an argument that POTS patients are more sensitive to any stimuli that effects the sympathetic nervous system and perhaps adrenaline related vasodilation. I doubt that measuring activity in particular brain areas demonstrates much about how anxious we are.

Although in many talks on POTS ive heard the terms 'somatic hypervigilance' used many times...

Wouldn't someone who had cancer or any other active disease process react the same way ? Or anyone who's

recently lost a loved one or undergone extreme stress ? Did they test these people too ?

Since our bodies are chronically and constantly in a state of repair aka healing crisis because we can't stay supine 24/7,

doesn't it make sense that we'd have anxiety / adrenal symptoms ?

I was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue but imho this can be due to my oh and pots. My adrenals are

always struggling when I'm upright.

Tc .. D

Eta .. I totally agree with sue on this ..