Back From The Er

surfgirl14

Hey guys. So I just got back from the ER. I have been having really bad back pain for the past 2 days diff then the back pain i usually have. But today it was way worse and accompanied by nausea. When I went to the bathroom around afternoonish tday I had passed wat my mom and I think was a kindey stone and some blood in my urine. I called my doc and they told me to go to the ER. So oviously I went and they didn't do a ultrasound or anything. (Not to mention kidney stones run in our family) :huh: .... They told me that I did have prescence of blood cells in my urine but not enough to make them worried... So they sent me home with vikoden for pain...... So I am a bit frustrated and confused? I dnt understand how they could just send me home w/out any testing. grrr.... Has anyone else had kidney stones?

Thanks.

It would be helpful for your doctor to test your parathyroid levels, along with serum calcium, serum ionized calcium, and a 24-hour urine calcium. Because your family has a history of stones, y'all might have something like Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia(MEN 1). You can read up on it and see if there is a possibility. Of course, it may just be a stone out of the blue, but because we're not sure of what brought our POTS about, it doesn't hurt to go the extra mile in digging around with weird symptoms.

BTW, I think I passed one 11 years ago, had pain and urgency come on really quickly, then lots of blood in my urine. Then it calmed down. I had never had a stone OR a UTI before, so I'm still not sure what it was.

I've had three stones that I know of. I'm assuming since you think you passed it, there wasn't

any reason to run further tests. The xray and cat scans are only needed to find it and see how big it is.

Just to be safe, I'd drink some cranberry juice (the undiluted one but be sure to dilute it) and tons of water for a couple of days. There are other

remedies on the web too but this works for me.

You may

not need the vicodan anymore either. Once mine are out of me, the pain stops. You'll want this on hand

in case there's another one.

You may want to look at the low oxalate diet too.

I use a small hand held strainer to catch stones if i feel like I'm passing one.

Your symptoms sound just like mine when I had a stone way back in 1975. Only mine didn't pass, it was a triangle and got stuck in the ureter. Ouch :o. Major surgery and six week recovery. Anyhoo, that's good advice from Dizzy. Just be glad you passed it believe me, lol. Hope you are feeling better by now.

It's probably going to take you a few days to get back to normal. If you did pass a stone, your body just went thru a major effort

to get that stone out of you. And then the meds will take awhile to leave your body too. I'm usually

out of it for a day or two after passing a stone depending on how high my white blood cell count got.

Tons of plain water And rest will help ... Tc .. D

Hi potsgirl93. Sorry you had a stone...they really hurt! Had to have one removed in 2009 (btw, the surgery for this is not a big deal at all anymore with only a couple days of recovery time.) One more thing, just keep an eye on how much urine you are passing. If at some point you are still having pain and you are having a hard time passing urine or you are not passing the amount (approximately) that you normally do, you should follow up with a urologist. Kidney stones are painful, but usually not dangerous unless you can't pass them and one sign of that is low urine output/difficulty urinating.

All they usually do for kidney stones is keep you hydrated and give pain meds to let them pass on their own. Unless your pain is unremitting and they are too big to pass; then they can do some fancier things.

The main thing is to rule out a UTI which it sounds like they did if they did a urinalysis.

Sorry you're having pain! Hope you feel better