Not Sure What To Do With Blood Sugar Problems.

icesktr189

I realized the reason I wake up every 3 to 4 hours is because of my blood sugar. I wake up STARVING... like I havent ate in days. All I can think about is getting some type of sugar in my body. This happens every 3 to 4 hours in a 24 hour period no matter what I eat or how much. I have tried to eat protein, carbs, sugars, doesnt matter what I still get this. When I finally do eat at night, I cant get back to bed for hours. What can I do?? Tonight I went to sleep around 8 and woke up at 11 pm feeling terrible and craving sugar yet again. Now its 2 am and I cant get back to bed.

I had this same problem when pregnant. I think POTS had more to do with it than the pregnancy--although obviously the two were involved. I was at my wit's end too on how to manage it. I was undiagnosed with POTS at that point but my dr advised that I eat protein-rich foods and a little more fat more salt and cut out sugar and high gylcemic index carbs. This did seem to help.

Dani - I have the same struggle. I ride the sugar roller coaster all day too. And sleep definitely triggers the need for sugar. I go through periods like you describe of waking up in the middle of the night craving sugar or if I take a nap (rare) I wake up with an intense head fog and sugar craving. It also happens after every meal - within 15-30 minutes I'm craving sugar. I've been diagnosed reactive hypoglycemic, but I've tracked my blood sugar and while I get the occasional low reading, it's usually fine even when I'm having symptoms. So I don't know, maybe it is just an addiction or could it be connected to our problem? Not sure. Have you checked your blood sugar to see if you're hypoglycemic? Oh and yes, especially chocolate for me too - can't explain that one. I agree with momtoGuiliana and would like to work on my diet, which consists mainly of carbs!

Naomi- Your description sounds very familiar to me. When my POTS symptoms are flared, I find I crave carbs of all types-especially chocolate and simple sugars which I've always had very little affinity for otherwise. I usually do well on a low glycemic type diet, but when I'm in a flare, all I want are sweets and simple carbs and I can barely stand to eat protein. I also find myself craving sweets/chocolate within a few minutes of eating a balanced meal.

Talking to a doctor a few months ago she was surprised when I told her how low my glucose level went with the 3 hour GTT. She said she had learned that it was almost impossible for a woman to ever get a reading lower than 60 because they have some metabolic process that prevents them from dropping that low that men supposedly don't have. ( I know she explained the process but my foggy brain can't retrieve it at the moment.) So you may well be having drops but then this compensatory mechanism kicks in before you can test your levels.

I am the exact same way. I constantly crave carbs and sugars that I never did before. This has been going on since I crashed again almost 2 years ago. I have to have sugar and chocolate everyday or I dont feel right. Also I eat some protein and a balanced meal and then immediately follow it up with some kind of sugar thing after.

I havent checked my blood sugar levels recently, but I need to start. Should I see a doctor about this, or is there nothing I can really do about it?

Hi dani,

Are you gluten or casein free ? These can act as opioids in our bodies and would

make cravings / withdrawals worse. Leaky gut / gut permeability causes this. I was a cookie monster but I'm not craving sugar or simple carbs

anymore. Going thru withdrawals can be intense so go slowly.

You may want to test for candidiasis too ? Or just treat it. The info is on the web but basically

it's a candida diet + candida killers + probiotics. Easy peasy .. Not, but worth it.

I'm awake because my digestion is hosed from taking antibiotics. Can't wait till this is over .. Tc ..d

Dizzy- No I am definently not any type of free lol... I basically just eat whatever I want except for caffiene. How do you test for Candida? I have seen that diet and OMG that is so strict! I would have no clue what to eat, but at the same time I am willing to try anything. I heard about dye off and I think that is what has stopped me. My friend did grapefruit seed extract and felt like she had the flu for weeks, but I am not sure how fast she went with it. I do take probiotics :)

What exactly can candida do? I dont really ever get yeast infections or thrush so I am not sure if I have it or not

The stool test is the best method from what I've heard. You can treat without testing but as a geek

and a carboholic, lol, I like having a test I can refer to. It keeps me motivated.

Fwiw, and please don't take this the wrong way, you can go as slowly as you want when changing your diet. In fact, based on the responses to going gf by sue and mack's mom, I'd go very slowly. You'll just need to get strict with it once you're ready. And follow the other

recommendations.

Taking gso or oil of oregano make me feel puny too so I never stuck with it. I used raw garlic,

tartaric acid, pau d arco, diet and probiotics. To each his own tho.

Candida caused very slight yeast infections and minor thrush for me and yet my numbers were high. So,

I'm not sure what else it can do. There's info on the web tho.

A low carb Diet is known to help regulate blood glucose levels, but it's always best, imho, to rule

out other possible medical causes. I'm not familiar with all the possibilities so I trusted my doctor

on this. She ordered a gtt + insulin, looked at my chromium and pancreatic and liver functions. I have

no idea how she analyzed all that. Lol .. But the diet helped me the most.

Btw. Once you get this under control, you can cheat a little and feel fine. : )

Tc ... D