Gerd

puppylove

It seems like many people that suffer from POTS also suffer from GERD so I was wondering how many...  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have GERD and a stomach ulcer and the reflux and nausea keeps me up all night at least twice per month. I'm taking medicine for both but their not helping very much. Any other ideas?

<~~~~~Queen of reflux!! Lol I've had it for a little over 3 years, 3 nissen funduplications in 2 years and due for a fourth, tried all the meds. Have you been to a GI? What meds/tests have you had done? Nausea is my worst symptom. There are a few tips to help with it at night. Use bed risers at the head of your bed so you're sleeping at an incline, not pillows because bending at the waist can make it worse. Don't eat 3 hours before going to bed. There's a few more but I can't think of them right now.

I have had GERD and gastritis for years. I avoid spicey foods and fried fatty foods. I use a wedge (as I'm a side/stomach sleeper and am short) instead of pillow--use a neckroll under my neck. I don't snack at night either (unless I don't mind laying awake in misery that night). I use Prilosec OTC and Zantac. I have had to use Reglan for short term intervals.

I have had two endoscopes and a third one scheduled. I take meds for my ulcer, Prilosec, and Zantac.

I have some degree of GERD and take Prilosec but mine is more related to my Gastroparesis and surprisingly not that bad. I pretty much have every other Gastroparesis symptom (nausea, vomiting, pain, bloating, etc) to a severe degree but the GERD aspect is probably my mildest symptom. It's genuinely surprising to me that I don't have GERD that badly.

What have you tried besides Prilosec and Zantac? I know I've been given Protonix in the hospital and it seems to be the best of any medication I've tried for GERD. I had a nasty intestinal infection at that time that gave me terrible reflux but Protonix (with a ton of Maalox on the side) really helped. And I've never tried Nexium but I do know they often try people on that if Prilosec isn't doing as much as it should.

There are different medications to try. Some are OTC. I haven't had any luck with the meds but a lot of people have. You can try Zegrid or Prevacid OTC. Otherwise there is Nexium, Kapidex (aka dexilant), Aciphex, Protonix, Prilosec by prescription. A good one I found for at night was Gaviscon OTC. It's pretty gross to take, chewable tablet that foams but it forms a barrier between the stomach and the LES to preven reflux. It only lasts 2 hours for me but it helps so much! Carafate suspension is also something to ask your doctor about. It coats your esophagus and stomach to prevent damage. It would help your ulcer to heal. I would keep a food and symptom journal to see what your triggers are. Mine would be garlic, certain spices, tomato based anything but I can have a small amount of ketchup, I can't have red meats (take too long to digest). What is a trigger for one person, isn't always a trigger for the next. I can have about 2 or 3 cups of coffee a day, soda, chocolate, all which are 'no nos'. Of course if I overdo it my nausea hits full force. Otherwise I'm always just a little bit nauseous. I take zofran for nausea and am trying to find domperidone. Good luck!!

• 2 months later...

I had never had a problem with GERD until my POTS started flaring. It seems like my stomach problems were the last to be effected. Is that normal for some people? I do remember telling my doctor several years ago that my headaches had changed. I was starting to have a lot more nausea than ever before. Now I know my nausea was from POTS.

Since this part is so new to me, I don't understand how I can eat at night and feel like my food is still in my esophagus a few hours later. I barely have an appetite during the day (which is good I need to lose some weight) but I am finally hungry at night. Then I get in trouble by eating too late. Agrrr.... So frustrating!!

I have GERD and hinatal hernia, ulcers, slowed emptying. Had a Nissan fundleplication about 6 months ago. The surgery helped for a little bit. Now I'm back to pain and bloating. Stomach problems are now affecting lungs from the slowed emptying and bloating and now affecting throat. Dr say's i have athropy of throat with GERD causing acid to go back up into throat. Have constant sore throat worsened by eating, Stomach pain and chest pressure. Might be having 2nd surgery after I have my 6th endoscopy in 2 years.

Metronidazole and clarithromycin are what my doc ordered for my h pylori and it appears to have worked. I'm not having any symptoms at least . Kow ..

She ordered metagenics proboulardi too. And ultra flora ib afterwards.

I added pepto bismol in for nausea and to help kill it.

I also had parasites so I took mebandazole for that afterwards.

I'll be doing another stool test next week to be sure we got them. I'm not sure what roll diet plays in feeding bad bacteria tho so you may want to consider that too.

Hth .. D

knock on wood i don't have GERD to add to my list of symptoms. My stomach is a bit sensitive though lately because of all the meds i've been taking (NSAIDS are horrible) plus the extra salt I was advised to try to add to my diet

Since everyone has the pharma pretty much covered. There are two teas you may want to consider. Marshmellow plant and Slippery Elm. Just soak it in tea for 10-15 minutes. I coats everything.

Also I've heard that an apple diet for 24 hours relaxes things, then you can slowly introduce non acidic foods. Some people also use apple cider or baking powder mixed with water. You can google the proportions...