Schirmer Test (Dry Eyes)

HopeSprings

I saw an eye Dr. last week to be evaluated for dry eye. He did the Schirmer Test (the one with the little strips in your eyes to measure tear production). After the 5 minutes, he read the results and said it was very odd that right my eye was a 7, but my left eye was a 1. He said usually both eyes will read the same. He felt the 1 was the correct number and thought that perhaps he hadn't wiped off all the numbing drops in the right eye. Either way, the number is supposed to be over 10 - so a 7 isn't good, but a 1 means my eyes are producing almost no tears. They DO feel awfully dry. We're going to repeat the test next week. Has anyone had the test? Is it pretty reliable? What kind of results did you get? Could this mean Sjogrens or is lack of tear production possibly a POTS thing? Thanks.

It could be either. I also failed the Schirmer test with different readings in each eye. I was tested for Sjogren's with blood work and also a lip biopsy which were both negative. I was told that my dry eyes and dry mouth are symptoms of dysautonomia. If you haven't been tested yet for Sjogren's though you definitely should do that.

Lynne

Yes, I have had the test, numerous times now, not my favorite thing. I do have dry eyes, I am on Restasis 2xday, Refresh liquigel up to 6xday, and a nighttime gel ointment also which helps most days. Fatigue increases symptoms as does computer and or reading which I can only do about 45 minutes at a time. They just burn a lot and I've gotten used to it and learning to live with it along with the other symptoms.

Ptalaura,

You said you were on Restasis 2xday, Refresh liquigel up to 6xday, and a nighttime gel ointment . Are those all for your eyes? I'm wondering because I was on

Restasis once a day but it didn't seem to help. In fact when i first put the drops in it would make them more dry. I kept trying it thinking that eventually it would get better but after a month it did not help. I'm wondering if maybe the other meds you mentioned could help. Did you get them from an eye doctor or a GP?

Dry mouth & dry eye is why I choose not to take meds such as Ativan or antihistamines all the time. I

knew AH dried up body fluids but i wasn't aware that Ativan or Valium does the same thing until my dental

hygienist told me. She told me she could tell the people that were on those meds because their mouth

was always dry.

Friday7, Yes, Restasis 2x a day, Refresh Liquigel eye drops up to 6x a day, and Genteal nighttime eye ointment in the evening before bed all for the eyes. All were told to me to be used by my eye doctor. He also recommended putting restasis in frig, so to cut back on some of the burning, does help a little, and can use the vial for more than one use if kept in frig because is so expensive. I can usually get 2-3 tx out of one vial. The Refresh Liquigel and Genteal are over the counter.

Dry eyes here, too, with corneal abraison and erosion. My left eye is worse currently (and mostly) than the right. Opthamologist has me on Restasis for the one eye, twice day--keeping in fridge. Also use either Sustain Ultra or Refresh in the eyes 4 times day and GenTeal gel in both eyes at night. Optometrist and opthamologist said that it could be from the dysautonomia or from water pill I have to take for that or the orthostatic hypotensive meds. I, too, find computer, reading, wind, sunlight to be extremely irritating. Plus I have to push myself to get in the fluids as I probably just stay hydrated or a bit lower when I should be overhydrated (but the pooling of the blood/fluids in the legs and feet seem to grab what fluid I have which means another water pill).