Another Diagnosis!

sandymbme

It is almost funny to me, after years of trying to figure out what on earth was wrong with me, suddenly I can't seem to stop collecting dx's. I was sent for what was supposed to be a baseline bone density test last week, as I had an emergency hysterectomy last year. My doctor's office called in a panic, they want to see me today, I have osteoporosis in my spine, and osteopenia in my hips. Good grief! I guess I am 36 going on 80! I guess I will find out this afternoon what this new wrinkle means, but for the moment, I think I am just more irritated at having yet ANOTHER dx to worry about!

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I have osteopenia, which is the level right before osteoporosis, in my thigh bones and hips. Great topic to bring up! I was diagnosed with this about 8 years ago, when I was 41. I need to have a bone density scan done again because it's been two years. Do you take anything for this? I went off the pill (which helps protect from osteoporsis) due to blood clots, so I need to be taking something. And, I'm actually at month 6 of no period! Yay!

Saw my doctor today, she is increasing my vitamin D, and wants to start me on biodentical hormones. She didn't want to put me on one of the osteoporosis medications because I have so many health conditions, she was afraid of all the side effects. She did suspect that a combination of the celiac disease, and my body's inability to manufacture the necessary hormones. (as evidenced by testing 2 years before my hysterectomy, when I was 34) So she is hoping we can get things under control with those measures. She said she would retest my hormone levels in 3 months, and repeat the bone density scan in just a year. She said she did not want to let it go for two years without retesting, as I already have full blown osteoporosis in my spine, and the osteopenia in my hips really concerns her given that I am having significant hip problems already due to the EDS. And the icing on the cake? My A1C showed that my blood sugar was just above normal range, so she is starting me metaformin as well. When it rains, it pours!

Sandy