Helmet?

Alyssa

For those of you that faint, do you wear a helmet?

I was considering it. I currently faint between 1 and 30 times per day and have had many hard head hits and bloody noses. I know it can get a lot worse and I've been lucky so far, but it worries me.

Just looking for other opinions. I know they make helmets for people with epilepsy and such.

Alyssa,

You poor girl! I'm also a fainter, but I usually only faint once in a day. If I were fainting up to 30 times a day (how does your doctor explain that? Low BP?) than I would definately purchase and wear a helmet around the house and other places you go were you might be likely to faint!

I would opt for a helmet as well, and seriously considered one myself when I went through a really bad stretch a few months ago. My blood pressure just tanked every time I stood up, and no matter how high my heart rate soared, it could not compensate enough. Adjusting my midodrine, and increasing my IV fluids has helped a great deal. I still have pretty low BP, but I am rarely fainting these days, just dizzy. Definitely talk to your doctor, though, because fainting that much is a huge hazard for nasty injuries, and there are meds they can try to help control them.

I am currently on Midodrine and Atenolol.

Unfortunately, they can't up my Midodrine dose as my resting BP is really high. It plummets when I stand, and I faint just about any time I am standing.

I am thinking about getting off the atenolol since it's not helping and is messing with my asthma way too much.

I'm not one to want to play musical medicines.

I'm lucky that my service dog alerts to faints and keeps my from falling too much, but if he isn't within a foot or two of me, he can't catch it.