I Am Burning Up-Can Someone Explain This Please.

Maiysa

Hi, I have a new symptom and called Mayo to ask if it's normal to feel like I'm burning up-I guess it is. Unfortunately, they don't think I can take the medication for this condition due to side affects. Anyhow, can someone explain why this is happening? It starts up with just the most simple startle, maybe a knock at the door or if I get too excited about something good or bad, and it seems to happen right after I eat most of the time. I have had hot flashes and it doesn't feel like this-this is very intense and lasts for a long time. After I did the QSart test, I was told I don't sweat and usually there is a little bit to measure but I had zero amounts of sweat. Anyhow, now I feel like my feet are sweating during these episodes and my kids say I feel really hot and clammy. How is this possible if I don't sweat? Any ideas would help. Thank you.

This is a very common symptom with me. I feel like I am burning up everywhere, especially my back and legs (even my eyes do. My fiance says my body feels so hot to the touch I can cook an egg on me. However, I never have a fever during this. My feet and hands are usually freezing. This is common with adrenaline issues. Its not really a surge, but it usually happens to me at night when I lay down. I think our bodies just give out and the adrenaline finally shows up.Whenever I feel stressed or sick, it is more intense. You said that it happens when you startle or get too excited.... that is def. adrenaline. Klonopin really helps this problem!

Thanks for the reply Dani and Chaos. At least I know I'm not the only one, but I feel for you both.

Chaos, I see you have autonomic neuropathy too, and I see we have a lot of the same symptoms. It's a challenge isn't it? I also get more of the hyper orthostatic situation. They just diagnosed me from idiopathic to autonomic, although we have no known autoimmune, I guess I'm giving all the symptoms. Also, can I ask...do you have a lot of neck pain or fibromyalgia? It seems to be kicking me down lately.

Dani-that's interesting because I don't normally have the heat, but it started after being exposed to a cold or flu bug a few weeks ago and now it won't stop. I would love to be near a snow bank, but instead I'm stuck near a sand dune! Ugh!!! :D

Hi Maiysa,

I also have times when I am really hot, and my fiance also comments on what an oven I am...I don't sweat during these times, either. Sometimes my feet are involved, and sometimes not. The burning feeling in my feet was my first indicator that I had small fiber neuropathy. It just came out of the blue - first my feet, then my hands, then lots o' pain.

I'm sorry you're going through this right now. I hope it subsides for you soon.

I get this reaction especially after severe stress: burning skin, flushing everywhere (not just my face), freezing hands and feet that get sweaty, and I'm super tired. What helps me is a benadryl. I'm not sure why (I've tried taking h1 and h2 blockers on a regular basis and never got any more symptom relief).

Also, I've found that if I can get to sleep that I sometimes wake up and my body has "reset" itself and I feel a lot better.

Don't forget about supplements for the autonomic neurpathy. I guess all POTS patients have a nerve problem to some extent since the nerves tell the blood vessels/muscles to contract. They do not work with POTS, so you get pooling and the blood will not stay in the head.

Benfotiamine is vit. B1 that is fat and water soluble.That is used for neuropathies. You can google it.

Alpha Lipoic Acid is also used to heal neuropathies. Well known. My integrative MD has me taking these as well as a great regemine of supplements. You can research both and if you find an integrative MD, he will know all about them. Odd that many docs do not know. Your doctor will know the best brands and amount to take.

I have made great progress with them!

I meant to post on my last reply that I went from idiopathic autonomic neuropathy to autoimmune autonomic neuropathy. My brain is so fuzzy today.

Sallys, that is great advice and will look more into these supplements. I, unfortunately had a terrible reaction to magnesium, a half teaspoon, and ended up at Quick Care. My body is so reactive-so I'm a bit afraid of supplements. I did read about the alpha lipoic acid and have doing just a half dose a day=50 mg. So far so good. What does the B1 do? I will look at that also. Thank you very much for your reply.

Potsgirl-I too am having so much pain lately and seems to have come with all the burning up and dizziness. I think I'm getting worse. Such a bummer. I fainted at the Apple Store today....so flippin embarrassing. Luckily my son's girlfriend was with me and was able to get me out of there. Thanks for the reply. Hope you are feeling okay too. PS I don't know what small fiber neuropathy is. Will have to check it out.

Thankful-I noticed I can feel a little better with children's claritin. So I will try it tonight. Thank you!